RSView Ent. File Viewer format oddity

planetwoggy

RSView Enterprise File Viewer - Data format inconsistancy

Hi all,

I am logging (pH data from a ControlLogixPLC) using FactoryTalk View ME Station.

I am successfully logging data every 5 minutes, for a period of months.
I end up with three useful columns - Date / Time / data (pH)
(that is to say ~ 288 entries per Day)

I can open the log file with RSView Enterprise File Viewer, and then save it as a .CSV, to later open with Excel.

the problem:
after opening (with Excel) one can see that the Date column has different formatting as one progresses down.
From the beginning of the month until the beginning of the 13th day, I can format the date as any form I like - eg.year-month-day or day/month/year, etc.
However from the 13th day on, the data is not recognized as a date (or, number actually) - it reacts like a string only - so no formatting.
Each succesive month is the same - pre 13th = date, 13th and later "not a date".

Looking back at the original log file, using RSView Enterprise File Viewer, one can see that on the 13th, the data does shift slightly in the column, indicating to me that there is indeed a difference in how it is stored!

whuh ? :rolleyes:

thanx in advance for any ideas here!

months --> days --- days --> months

kinda getting there ---

almost for sure;
my Excel is interpreting the data log's entries
and is confusing the days with the months, and visa versa.

once it gets to the 13th "day", it sees it as the 13th month, and says to itself "not a date!"

11 / 05 / 2010 (11th May - actual)(5th Nov - interpreted)
12 / 05 / 2010 (12th May - actual)(5th Dec - interpreted)
13 / 05 / 2010 (13th May - actual)(no such thing - interpreted)

answer - mostly

there may be other work arounds, but;

when using RSView Enterprise File Viewer,
instead of saving the .LOG as a .CSV (comma separated variable),
I tried saving as .DBF (dBase) instead.

Then in Excel choose .DBF when opening,
and whalla, proper formatting of the address.

why .CSV insists on the backward interpretation, i'll leave for another day!

thanx PLCS.net
chrz,
p