MSG - Compact Logix to Micro1200 via ENI

30 seconds is the standard CIP Connection timeout.

It really, truly, genuinely sounds like an honest-to-goodness IP addressing problem.

Are you certain that the two devices are on the same IP subnet ? Post the actual IP address and Subnet Mask of both the 1756-ENBT and the 1761-NET-ENI.

To do anything else you're going to need a mirror port or remote capture of the Ethernet traffic.

One more thing: The 1761-NET-ENI tool, for some reason, requires you use leading zeroes in the fields in which you place the octets of the IP address. It always interprets these as decimal values.

In any other notation, including the Windows command line and the CIP path field in RSLogix 5000, a leading zero in an IP address octet denotes that it's an Octal number, not a Decimal number and 80 is an invalid number in Octal.

Your postings show that the last octet is entered in RSLogix 5000 as "80" but I wanted to cover this little detail. It has always irritated me that the Net-ENI utility forces you to use an incorrect notation.

Last edited:
Problem fixed. The compact logix did not have the gateway address listed in it's processor port configuration for TCP/IP. Even though the network VPN could communicate, the PLC did not konw how to leave the network to cross over to the secondary side. Oversight but costly in time.

LocalENB, 2, 192.168.126.80 was the proper path syntax.

Gateway is not an issue if all devices are on the same network as a lot of systems are. PLC was setup over a year ago and this information was left out, probably because the PLC was setup offsite.

Lesson learned!

i know this is a old thread but i am having the same issue. i tried to download the telnet tool but it appears to not be working on my computer. i am online with both devices currently. could that be taking up too many cip connections and causing the message to fail?