Problem with op77a hmi panel

kunjuvava

Sir,
We purchased the HMI pannel OP77A. When we just tried to update the OS for version changing, the updating procedure just interrupted.And we didn't take any back up of the OS file(.psb file). So when powering up the panel its showing some messages . We are giving the messages here exactly as showing in the HMI panel. First its showing

" OP 77A
bootloader V1.25
(2010-07-16) "

and after that its showing the message

" This device contains free software, see Info/Settings for details " . And this message still remains until the power OFF.
when we tried to communicate with the HMI panel using " WinCC flexible Advanced 2007 " its showing that " connection could not established ". We tried to communicate the panel by using " serial port(RS485) and by using MPI(USB) " but no result.
How can we restore the device into orginal state. We dont have the restoration file(ie the .psb file). Please help us..

Thank You

have you tried ''os update'' from the software or it did it automatiquely while trying to download your project?

You can try os update again with the memorised file of your installed software (in the computer) Usually it get installed in pc at the time of installing wincc. or also contact the seller and ask for some help and maybe a software update to be up to date...I'M using wincc 2008 sp2 and it may not be the last one...

I can't help you with your current issue, but for the future, the easiest way to protect yourself from data loss, is to take a backup to the MMC or SD card, depending on the type and model of your HMI's. We've got one 77A, one 77B, and six 277's. I've used MMC cards to create backups of all of them, and also stored the data for them on a couple of servers for safe keeping. We had some alarm updates done recently (remotely from Russia to Australia), and on the first attempt something went wrong, and two panels went down. I was able to restore them in about 15 minutes. I'm only a sparkie, and before January this year, had never laid eyes on a Siemens PLC. This process is ridiculously easy.

An OS Update was interrupted, and now the panel doesnt boot up properly.

You can attempt an OS Update again, this time with Prosave.
In Prosave, specify the firmware version that matches your WinCC Flexible project (you can see the firmware version in the device settings).
In Prosave, under the "OS Update tab", activate the "Reset to factory settings" selection. Connect the OP77A and reboot it, then activate the button "Update OS".

Wilso, I dont think OP77A has a flash card slot.
edit: But your advice is essentially very good. Instead of backing up with a flash card, you can also use Prosave.

Last edited:
An OS Update was interrupted, and now the panel doesnt boot up properly.

You can attempt an OS Update again, this time with Prosave.
In Prosave, specify the firmware version that matches your WinCC Flexible project (you can see the firmware version in the device settings).
In Prosave, under the "OS Update tab", activate the "Reset to factory settings" selection. Connect the OP77A and reboot it, then activate the button "Update OS".

Wilso, I dont think OP77A has a flash card slot.
edit: But your advice is essentially very good. Instead of backing up with a flash card, you can also use Prosave.

Yep. It does. I performed a backup on one of these on Wednesday just gone. The 77A only takes MMC card. The 77B will take MMC or SD.

Something else I just found out this week. 5 year old OP277, only takes MMC. A brand new one, will take both cards, but it refused to recognise the SD. When I called Siemens technical assistance, the only help I got was an emailed list of compatible cards. Of course, they will only recommend their own brand, which cost 5 to 7 times more than a standard type.

Just re-reading the original post, looks like the project has not been lost, but just a fault in the OS. If WINCC can't communicate, I'd be contacting the supplier and demanding a replacement. It's new right?

Yep. It does. I performed a backup on one of these on Wednesday just gone. The 77A only takes MMC card. The 77B will take MMC or SD.
The specs listed on Siemens support must be wrong then:
Interfaces
Interfaces1 x RS422, 1 x RS485 (max. 1.5 Mbit/s)
Number of RS 485 interfaces1
Transmission rate, max.1.5 Mbit/s
USB port No
PC card slot No
CF card slot No
Multi Media Card slot No
Special interfaces No

The specs listed on Siemens support must be wrong then:
Interfaces
Interfaces1 x RS422, 1 x RS485 (max. 1.5 Mbit/s)
Number of RS 485 interfaces1
Transmission rate, max.1.5 Mbit/s
USB port No
PC card slot No
CF card slot No
Multi Media Card slot No
Special interfaces No

They must be, because I work on a vey small plant. We've only got six 277's and two 77's. And I've spent a lot of time playing with them. My main focus has been avoiding a 2am call because of a failure, so I've developed some procedures so that the shift electricians can replace them without assistance, and I can assure you that the 77A, has got a MMC slot, and the 77B, a MMC/SD slot.

After looking at the manual, the evidence is adding up. I could be looking at an old 77B and a new 77B. :unsure: The two have got different part numbers. Not going in on the weekend to have a look though.

After looking at the manual, the evidence is adding up. I could be looking at an old 77B and a new 77B. :unsure: The two have got different part numbers. Not going in on the weekend to have a look though.
yu slack BGGR - get in there and look
I assure you I wouldnt:ROFLMAO:

I am. Same model, with different part numbers,:confused: and different memory card slots. My most humble apologies.