1771 - IFM Fast Millivolt BTW error

controlconcepts

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, Been a long time since I have been on here.

I have a 1771-IFM Fast Millivolt card that I just can't seem to get to work.

I am having a really hard time finding the correct manual, if this is not the right one.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1771-um057_-en-p.pdf

I have tried sending all 0s the length of 5 words to the module, like the manual

suggests to set the module to default settings, that did not work.
I have tried setting the module for a single channel, then adding up to all eight channels.
still get a write error in the BTR

From the manual, Word 3 Bit 10 = 1 for BCD 0 for Decimal
"Data format matches format of processor"
have tried both.

Here is the ladder and control words I am using hopefully I have overlooked something simple and the module is OK.

Here is the ladder and control words.

Thanks Again you all always come through
Matt.
If there is anything else that is needed or I have left out let me know.

So it looks like maybe I did not give enough information , or no one has really come across one of these modules. i have read mixed things on what to type of read write control block should be used. Some say that you should use the exact "1771-IFM Fast Millivolt" module type in the control block. Some say any type will work as long as the read write length is correct. I know the module is good I just need some guidance in getting the control block setup. I know it must be something simple, it always is in my case.. So if any of you old school guys could chime in it would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I think that I have a Ser A manual at work as well, but I have to check.
It may even have my had written notes.
I am not sure if there is a difference between A and B.
What series is your module?

This is a very rare module, and I may be set this up only once in twice in the last 30 yeas. But if you have a techconnect contract, there are few old-timers still in techsupport in Cleveland who may help.

You did not say what the error is or exactly what is not working.

You might check the 'CAL" jumper to make sure it's in the "RUN" position.

Post the .RSP file if you can ( zip it first)

Last edited:
Thank you very much Mickey for responding. Yes, I have checked RUN CAL. It's in RUN. If you give me a minute, I will post the .RSP file. I believe it is a series A.

Thank you very much Contr Conn. I do not have techconnect but it feels like veterans like you, Mickey and Ron are better than rockwell support any day. lol

My left out stuff.

Micky you are right about my description of the Issue is not very well described. Hope this is a better explain of what the exact issue is.

Basically I have tried samples and reading the manuals I that I can find I have tried many different ways to load the module data to get a read back. No matter what I have tried I get nothing at all on the read block just a BTW Control block ER Bit set Bit set, same with the BTR

From the manual

Troubleshooting
In this chapter, we describe how to troubleshoot your module by observing
the indicators and by monitoring status bits reported to the processor.
At power-up, the module turns on the RED indicator as a lamp test, then
checks for:
correct RAM operation
firmware errors
Thereafter, the module turns off the red indicator and lights the green RUN indicator when operating without fault.
This is the state of the module Green Run

If it detects a major fault condition,
the red FAULT indicator will light. The module also reports status and
specific faults (if they occur) in every transfer of data to the PC processor.
This is my issue I am not getting any read back from the module.

Monitor the green and red indicators and status bits in
word 1 of the BTR NO Data form read block
file when troubleshooting your module.
Analog Input Module
Diagnostic bits in the read block transfer status words provide diagnostic
capabilities.
Word 1 provides power-up and valid data status.
Words 2 and 3 provide channel data status.
NO Data form read block
If a module on-board self test fault occurs, block transfers will be inhibited, the red fault (FLT) will light, It is OFF
and the green run (RUN) light will go out. It is on

Word 1 -
Diagnostics word 1 is the first data word in the read block
transfer file for transfer to the central processor. It contains a power-up bit
This I need to test but almost positive decimal word never changed from 0
(bit 00) that is set (1) when the module is first powered up. It is reset (0)
after a write block transfer. It also contains an under-range or over-range
bit (bit 01) that is set when any input is under or over-range.
An invalid scaling/filtering data bit (bit 02) will be set if invalid scaling
data is entered into any of the minimum/maximum scaling value words. If
invalid values are entered into the minimum or maximum scaling words
the corresponding read block transfer input channel word will be set to
0000. Bit 02 will also be set if an invalid digital filter value is entered (e.g.,
1F). If an invalid digital filter value is entered, the module will not perform
digital filtering.

So will Word 1 bits stay set high each read or should I only do one read to see if they set?

I have to remote to the site to get the .RSP file Should have it in a hour or so..

Hope this helps
Thanks Again,
Matt

Just got logged in to site will post .RSP ..
Oddly I tried one of the manuals trouble shooting recommendations , go from RUN-Prog-Run and let module power up then do a read.
Result is BTR EN stuck HI?
Never Completes, no DN or ER set??

So finally got logged in... I should not post until I have the file on local disk..

Module # AB 1771-IFM Series B
Part # 96069682
only jumpers ( viewed by on site tech)

Run/Cal [ Run ]
JP1 [ Open ]
P2 4 Jumpers all [ Open ]

On power up red led flashes quick then right to solid green.
All I know for tonight will post more once I get some time to run some other tests.
I will post the .RSS file in the Am, it's in a test rack so I will check for silly errors before I post it in case I missed something silly.
Thanks to all for helping thus far.
Matt

Dropped the Ball on this .RSP Finally

Guess I may have Not been proper in one of my post's. Since then I have had dead ears Here. I Have had a lot of family health and personal struggles lately. Now I am back if anyone would like to Finnish help me out..

Here is the RSP file

Thanks in advance!!
Matt

I would set the min/max data to 0-4095

I would also toggle off bits O:002/0 and O:002/1. See picture
I don't see anything in your program controlling them and your 1771-IFM module is using that slot ( group). I have seen that interfere with an analog module data if those bits are set.

toggleoff.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much micky. I tried your suggestion with the output file would have never thought to look at that, really smart and makes complete sense,
thanks. It is in a test rack that had output an output module so that's why those bits were that hi set High. As soon as I get a chance I will wipe out the processor start with a fresh 5
project and try your suggestions. Thank you again Mickey I really appreciate all of your help. I will let you know the results of the test as soon as I get some time to log into it and start from scratch. My only question is am I referring to the proper manual.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
My only question is am I referring to the proper manual.

If its a series "B" then yes.

I can't find the manual for a series "A" but I think the only difference is the series "A" had a lower mv range. Not 100% sure though.