[Logix5k] Trying to use the Data Preserve Tool but keep getting comms errors

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all, I'm trying to use the Data Preserve Tool for Logix5k (CompactLogix controller) but I keep getting comms errors and I'm not sure why. I've followed the instructions in the following ways:

1. .ACD is open before Tool is started
2. Controller is in Prog mode
3. Only one instance of Logix is open
4. Connected via ethernet instead of USB
5. Verified I have the latest version (2.0)

Despite all this, whenever I try to run the tool I get the following in the log file:

2018-06-01 15:40:23,040 WARN - RSLogix5000DataPreservedDownloadTool version 2.0
2018-06-01 15:40:23,042 WARN - Machine name: -redacted-
2018-06-01 15:40:23,042 WARN - Logged in user name: -redacted-
2018-06-01 15:40:23,042 WARN - RSLogix5000 project name: Well_6.ACD
2018-06-01 15:40:23,042 WARN - SetThreadUILang: invoked, must be VISTA
2018-06-01 15:40:23,042 WARN - SetThreadUILang: returning 1033
2018-06-01 15:40:23,216 WARN - Successfully attached to RS5000 process pid[12172]
2018-06-01 15:40:23,862 WARN - Validating task completed result [ERROR] . Invalid communications path or controller not responding.
2018-06-01 15:40:25,267 WARN - Update process completed unsuccessfully.
I can easily go online to the controller, and I'm directly plugged into it. Has anyone dealt with such an issue before? Am I missing something?

EDIT: Apparently I didn't do the Google search with the error successfully, because I just retried and immediately came to this tech note from Rockwell stating that RSLinx Classic is needed, and I'm only running Classic Lite. So this could definitely be the issue.

So I guess my question is, if I don't have Classic is there any way to preserve data in a controller when a program update is made? I'm worried that various setpoints and accumulated data (like ETMs, Flow Totalizers) will revert to the value that was last saved when I saved the .ACD file for my project.

Last edited:
If you have made offline changes then use the import feature. If you import, no values will be changed. Export The Program or the Subroutines you need from the offline file. Then Go online and Save the current PLC and Upload values. Then Right click on your program task and select import program or, right click on you main subroutine and select import subroutine. Select Overwrite and use existing values and import as pending. This allow you to see rung modifications if you need to verify. It's really no different than making online changes.

FYI, you are correct you need a full version of RSLinx to use the Tag tools

I'll first focus on the RSLinx Classic licencing aspect...

defcon.klaxon said:
Hi all, I'm trying to use the Data Preserve Tool for Logix5k (CompactLogix controller) but I keep getting comms errors and I'm not sure why. I've followed the instructions in the following ways:

1. .ACD is open before Tool is started
2. Controller is in Prog mode
3. Only one instance of Logix is open
4. Connected via ethernet instead of USB
5. Verified I have the latest version (2.0)

Despite all this, whenever I try to run the tool I get the following in the log file:

I can easily go online to the controller, and I'm directly plugged into it. Has anyone dealt with such an issue before? Am I missing something?

EDIT: Apparently I didn't do the Google search with the error successfully, because I just retried and immediately came to this tech note from Rockwell stating that RSLinx Classic is needed, and I'm only running Classic Lite. So this could definitely be the issue.

So I guess my question is, if I don't have Classic is there any way to preserve data in a controller when a program update is made? I'm worried that various setpoints and accumulated data (like ETMs, Flow Totalizers) will revert to the value that was last saved when I saved the .ACD file for my project.

cwal61 said:
...FYI, you are correct you need a full version of RSLinx to use the Tag tools

Hi cwal61,

If by "Tag tools" you mean both the Tag Upload Download Tool and the Data Preserve Download Tool, then that would not be strictly true...

The Tag Upload Download Tool certainly does require a licenced version of RSLinx Classic, such as a Single Node or OEM licence. This is because this tool requires the use of an OPC topic to the controller to perform tag uploads and downloads while the controller is running.

For the Data Preserve Download Tool you may be thinking of somewhat older versions?...

Up to RSLogix 5000 v17.00, the Data Preserve Download Tool was released as version 1.1. This version, or any previous versions, do require a licenced version of RSLinx Classic. If you attempt to run these versions using RSLinx Classic Lite then you will receive the error -

Update Process Completed Unsuccessfully, Invalid Communications Path or Controller Not Responding

However, with RSLogix 5000 v17.01, Data Preserve Download Tool v1.2 was released. This version, or any newer version, no longer requires a licenced version of RSLinx Classic. RSLinx Classic Lite may be used.

So, let's see what our friend is using...

Hi defcon.klaxon,

If we read the highlighted version being used above we will see that Data Preserve Download v2.0 is being used here. This version was released with Studio 5000 v21 and does not require a licensed version of RSLinx Classic. All versions since v1.2 do not require a licence. In fact, it is actually stated in the technote you linked but you must have overlooked that section?...

A small excerpt, if I may?...

Technote 54357 said:
...The PC requires a RSLinx Classic Activation, or download a newer version of at least 1.2 of the RSLogix 5000 Data Preserve Download Tool (available as an attachment below as well).

Version 1.2 fixes the following issues:
Can now use RSLinx Lite instead of an activated version of RSLinx

Can now download via the controllers serial port
Can now download over ControlNet nodes greater then node 9...

This means that RSLinx Classic licencing should not be the issue here.

This is what my instincts tell me is likely the nub of the issue...

What version of Studio 5000 project are you attempting to use the Data Preserve Download Tool with?

Which Windows Operating System are you using?

In the following technote, pay close attention to the Note at the end of the first section regarding which versions of Studio 5000 software are installed and a particular OS restriction...

54946 - RSLogix 5000 Data Preserve Download Tool
Access Level: Everyone

Data Preserve Download Tool v2.0 is only supported for use with Studio 5000 v21.00 - v24.01. It is not supported for use in any software versions beyond v24. In fact, and as that note points out, once you install Studio 5000 v26 or above, you will "break" the Data Preserve Download Tool i.e. it will now not even work for any supported versions. They also state that it is not supported under Windows 10.

So what alternative is there Rockwell? That note also states that, as of late 2017, there appears to be no plans to update or replace the Data Preserve Download Tool beyond v2.0 and v24 software. Pretty lowsy to be honest.

I do know that this tool uses the log4net library provided by Apache Software Foundation. This works with Microsoft .NET Framework to extract application data to popular file types, such as CSV (Comma-Separated Values). Unless there is something in all this that is no longer compatible with some aspects of newer software versions, or OS architectures, I'm not sure what the stumbling block is here?

For newer versions of software where this tool is not supported, or where a user installation base prevents using it with supported software, then careful "save and restore" methods would have to be applied, similar to cwal61's good advice.

Regards,
George

If you have made offline changes then use the import feature. If you import, no values will be changed. Export The Program or the Subroutines you need from the offline file. Then Go online and Save the current PLC and Upload values. Then Right click on your program task and select import program or, right click on you main subroutine and select import subroutine. Select Overwrite and use existing values and import as pending. This allow you to see rung modifications if you need to verify. It's really no different than making online changes.

Thanks for the procedure, it totally makes sense and I'll definitely use this!