A Free HMI with Eye Catching Graphics is Now Available

Archie,
Is there a way to do bit of word masking? I have 3 32bit ints that hold status of a bunch of logicals, I'd like to display the the individual statuses on the HMI using the appropriate bits. I'm using modbus to talk to the PLC reading Long holding registers.
On 16 bit registers you can specify bits like 40001.0

If you are reading 32 bit address such as L40001, this doesn't work on a bit level, but since L40001 is really just 40001 and 40002, you can get to all the bits by referring to the individual 16 bit parts:

L40001.0 = 40001.0
L40001.16 = 40002.0

I tried to follow the video and download VB but all I can find is cloud **** and not an installable version of VB. Is there a current link to the VB download page?

Thanks
JT

For commercial use, scroll down this page until it says "still want visual studio express?"
https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-express/

For certain use cases, you are allowed to use the community edition. Check the permitted usage scenarios and check with your legal department if they apply to you.
The download for this is available on the same page as above, "download community 2017"
Or you can download it here.
https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

In the future I suspect VB.net will be native in visual studio code, which will be the replacement free development tool for the retiring Visual studio express. I am no oracle though.

My experience is that if you mention the bugs, they typically get fixed. Reporting bugs makes for a better product for everyone.

I'm not sure what version you were using bug they very well may have already been addressed.

I've done 4 projects with AHMI, not one issue after deployment. As mentioned, if you found bugs you should have mentioned them. They would have been dealt with quickly. Since we most likely used the same base project, I'm going to say the issues you had were probably self induced. Unlike other platforms, there isn't a lot of protection from users who do silly things. It's up to the developer to police themselves. You are the developer.

Subscribed. Archie this is fantastic. I've been mucking around with a Compactlogix for the past few days, really good stuff. I am going to use this for some heating / cooling applications. I've got a Micro850 coming in, looking forward to running through with that driver.
Thank you so much

I just bought the Standalone Driver package for an application I am building. Dropped the DLL into the project and blammo, product configurations are being built and transferred to /from the PLC as deeply structured UDTs.

I had built programs in AHMI before but I was really impressed how easy it was to go the other way. Especially considering how much a Visual Studio amateur I am...

Thanks for all the hard work Archie

The first Beta release of AdvancedHMI is now available for download. AdvancedHMI is an HMI development package based on Visual Basic Express 2008 (also free). Although it is based on Visual Basic, it contains a group of controls that allow you to build an HMI without the need to write any code. Even those that have never written a single line of Basic can use it to develop an HMI. It includes a driver for Allen Bradley SLC/Micrologix over RS232, but will also work over DH485 and DH+ with appropriate hardware (KF2,KF3, DL3500, UIC). Also includes a very basic driver for Beckhoff TwinCAT (very early in development). All source code is included, making it very easy for more advanced VB programmers to expand the object library.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

A quick how to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-E8NlUNiX4
(can be watched in High Quality with link below and to the right of video - this seems to load faster too)

This is a community project, so anyone that wishes to contribute (graphics, code, testing, suggestions, etc) please let me know. Future additions include communication drivers for Ethernet/IP and Omron.

ScreenShot1Small.PNG

Any vendors interested in having their products (e.g. meter, scale display, etc.) made into components and added to this project, get with me.
ScreenShotProductsSmall.PNG
Is it a free HMI/touchscreen or just the free software?

Last edited: