simple Ac Drive with Advanced Motion Controller

Kataeb

Has anyone tried to use a simple Ac Drive with an Advanced Motion Controller? To do a low cost angular synchronization on machines (Rewinders) having big power Ac Motors? With a Position master (motor) followed by Position slaves (motors)?
For example, using a Siemens Simotion module to control several G120 (CU250S) or Micromaster (440) drives, in Position Loop?
Thank you

I assume this post is tied to the dc motor to ac motor retrofit post...
My opinion is S120 motor modules/ smart line module with 1PH8 motors, 1500 or 1500T cpu

Last edited:
Yes it can be done
You must use a good quality VFD recommend Yaskawa A1000 I flux vector mode
I have done it more then a few times

I have used ACS800 drives from ABB to control servo an induction motor and woks perfectly. My PLC is a Controllogix, servo module 1756-M02AE.
Cheaper options are the S120 and Yaskawa A1000 thru EIP.

Due to customer's requirements, i am trying to reduce the cost by using G120 instead of S120 (about double price).
But my concern is that G120 might not work well with angular position loops.