Old Wonderware

padees

Have a customer with a small extrusion machine. It was built in 2002. Has L551/B/FRN5… Devicenet…

We are upgrading the main drive to a PF755, no problems with that… so far.

Anyway, this has an Advantech Panel PC, 2002 vintage with Windows 2000 and Wonderware. No clue as to what version of WW.

Well, the HDD in the panel PC may have bit the dust today, it is certainly pointing to that.

There are no files available for the WW stuff, but we did get decent cooperation from the OEM on drawings/PLC pgm...

I have never used Wonderware before, so have no clue.

If we can recover files from the HDD, could those possibly be installed (copied) onto a new HDD with a different OS?

I did ballpark an entire machine upgrade to the latest and greatest. It was quite reasonable, and a preferred scenario, but they may not want to spend the cash.

I’ve called a few resources and no one uses WW around here anymore.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Yes. If you can recover the application folder from the HDD, then it could be converted to a newer version. The InTouch software from that era would probably be Version 7 or 8, maybe 9.X, none of which would be compatible with any OS newer than Win XP.

Aye, if you can recover the files from the HDD, it could certainly be copied and converted into a newer version.

Only the most recent versions of wonderware (V2014) use a different format for the application file (uses an exported file), but the one you have there will be the original format which comes in many many files in the application directory.

The application will have a text file (wwsuite.lic) which if you can open that one, it should tell you the version and the serial number.

The version would have to be installed on a new PC and the application copied into a directory to be read by intouch, and have the same screen resolution. Try not to get a different resolution, as intouch will want to automatically scale it for the new one, and can play about with the scaling of objects and text on the screen.

We have found it easler here to run VMs for all our versions (we have V7 to latest here) and load up applications to run on their best operating system.

Thanks!!
The Master Electrician smacked the old screen a few times, then it booted.

Didn't last long while doing a backup to discs. It died again.

Now, IT at this place thinks they can fix this with a new HDD. Copy off old and put on new without Wonderware.

Don't know how this will play out.

Well, IT guy cloned the old HDD. After a day, Windows 2000 works on the old panel PC. OEM sent WW files from way back, no go from what they said.

From my limited understanding is that you need the WW software to make this work. Is that correct?

Next step would be to just put a RL G09-G12 on this and call it a day.

Apparently, the clone corrupted the files.

Wonderware was kind enough to send them the V7.11 software and new license for free.

The IT guy working on this was born 1999. He's having a tough time with this. The V7 date we have is he was 1 year old when this came out.

I'm sorry, but this isn't an iPhone.

Hi padees,

Sounds like you were able to resolve this. If not, let me know and I'll try to help.

Alternatively, I would recommend reaching out to Wonderware North - they are the distributor covering Michigan and can assist you locally: http://wonderwarenorth.com

Regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Our customer wanted to resolve this issue themselves. They had an electrician and IT guy working on this, and as of yesterday, they still were stumbling and no where closer to get the machine running. They were working with WW North.

I suggested we send in one of our guys that has worked with WW, and they gladly accepted this time.

They were just trying to save money and learn this, but now the machine has to be up and running.

Fortunately, they only do prototypes and short runs with the equipment, but now they have a short run to do.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!!