RSView32 Works/Runtime

kbradray

I am currently working on an already completed project created with View32. The runtime is running on a versaview at the machine. I have a couple of questions:

1 I can navigate to the file where the runtime is currently running, but I can't make changes to security on graphics or any other areas using the project navigator on the runtime machine. Is there a way to make security changes using View32 runtime?

2 I have View32 works on my laptop (that I acquired from the exiting engineer who I am replacing) when I try to go online with the project from my laptop through the network I get a prompt for username- tagdb password-*******. The Rockwell tech support was no help. They say I need to be offline to make changes or to even get into the file. Is this true? Any assistance would be appreciated.

You should be able to press [Ctrl] [Alt] [P] Several times on the runtime machine and get a folder that will allow you to stop the project. Then you should be able to edit the projuct and again run it.

Thanks Bob, I can get the project window, but I cannot get the security function under the system folder. I cannot even use the command line to pull it up. I can edit users and some other items, but I think I need to use View32 Works to do the major editing. I have had the View32 class, but I am unfamiliar with working with existing projects.

I don't know if the project has to be offline to work with it in Works or can it be modified while running.

Thanks again for all help.

You need to use the 'Works' version to make changes. You can transfer edited displays to a running system and make some other changes, but any changes to the tag database will require shutting down the run-time system and transfer the full project from your Works system.

Watcom ODBC issue

Whenever I try and go into the project with works I get the Watcom SQL login screen which has username- tagdb and password- ******. When I follow the instructions in the Rockwell knowledgebase to go into my ODBC and delete the USN for the Watcom database I still get the same results. I have even tried to use the MMIpass and MMIuser with no luck.

kbradray,

You said that "..when I go into the project.." Are you using Works to open the project for editing, or or you teling Works to "Run" the project? Works will do both, edit or run the project just like Runtime does. There is a difference, and the first option is the one you need.

When I start RSView32 Works, then tell it to "File, Open" a project for editing, there is no request for a password or user name. I know that RSView32 can be installed with a "security server" option, so that it does request the password.

That is probably what you have, in which case you have to know the password that your former co-worker used, or you have to uninstall and then reinstall RSWorks with a new password, or reinstall it without the silly security option.

I would bet that the security option has caused more problems than it has prevented. If you can't reinstall Works, then the next best thing is to call up the former engineer and ask for the password. He is legally obligatged to inform his former company of the password, or be liable for any financial damages, such as lost production or extra time spent by you for his mistake in not giving the password to the company before he left.

Last edited:
Thanks Lancie, Yes I am trying to go into the file with Works. I don't think that it is a security password from my predecessor, but some sort of ODBC link that exists.

I am getting confused here. What you may have is the RSView Remote Access server, which does have the "security server" option. the Remote Access server is a program that allows RSview to be run on a remote computer and still view and operate an RSView project that normally runs on a local computer. It runs along with RSview. In fact, in the normal set-up, you insert a command line in the RSView Startup menu, that calls and starts the Remote Access Server.

It may be the Remote Access server that is asking for the password. You may have to edit the Startup screen ("System, Startup") and see if the Initial Graphic screen has a line similar to this. If so, then the Remote Server is being loaded.
RTDataWriteEnable;RemoteAccessServerOn;DisplayServerOn /G1_Main_Oxidizer;Display 1_Main_Oxidizer /Max; ActivityBarOn;Abort Me
To check the Initial Graphic, open the first graphic screen that is started by the Startup command, then click "Edit, Display Settings, Behavior". Look at under the "Commands" at startup. If "Remote Access Server On" is found, this could be the problem.

How to get into the program to check this, without the password, I do not know!

Last edited:
An answer

I think I have my answer. I finally spoke with a RS representative who could answer my question. I need to copy the Runtime project to my laptop. Edit the project then paste the edited project back into its file.

Thanks for all who issued advice.

RSView ODBC Issue

kbradray

I am facing a similar problem as you were. When I start the project it opens a window with login to Watcom SQL with a user name *tagdb* and password ******. If I click OK or Cancel it gives me a Visual Basic C++ runtime error. Please advise. Thank you.