Beacon / Sounder circuit

Andy Veitch

Hi Guy's relatively new to PLC programming and in need of some help.
I have an alarm circuit that when is in a true state triggers off a audible alarm and a visual one.

With the alarm state true I would like to silence the sounder but still have the visual alarm active.
Once the alarm is cleared then the visual clears as well.
I have thought of the idea of using OTL and OTU for the sounder with a silence alarm button , but its stopping it from latching up again with the alarm state still true which is what I cannot get my head around.

Is there any element or function I can use to help me out.

Programming with RS Logix 5000.

Thanks for any help

Hi cardosocea,

Thanks for the reply. It's not in a program yet just jotting down on paper.

Alarm
--[ ]---------------------------------------------------------------------( Beacon )

Beacon
---[ ]---------------------------------------------------------( Sounder - L )

Silence PB
---[ ]--------------------------( Sounder U )

Doing it this way the sounder will latch back up again due to the alarm still being present and the beacon contact true in line 2.
Its like I need something else in line 2 to stop it from latching back up after the silence pushbutton has been pressed.

Use a one-shot to latch your sounder. You can also use a timer to silence the alarm and have it recycle so its not ignored.

Hi RClem,

If by using the one shot does this mean the sounder will not energise again until the beacon is off and then back on again.

Thanks for the help

That's what it will do, I normally use a timer to recycle the alarm sounder since our guys will silence the alarm and ignore the beacon. I attached an example of how I've done in the past.

tia1.JPG tia2.JPG

Thanks RClem that's cleared that up.

Good idea about people silencing the alarm and ignoring the beacons, I will put some timers in to initiate the sounders again after a while.

Andy

I should mention that in my examples, being in a Siemens system the SR block, reset has priority over the set function.

Nice and simple. This example retriggers the siren on a new alarm or after a preset time - of course, you have to program the "alarm exists", "new alarm" and "Time-based Retrigger" bits externally, but once you've got them happening, this rung will do the lot!

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 8.43.31 am.png