Profibus, Modbus, Profinet and Powerlink from LabVIEW

B&R_user

Hi,
On a project, i have to assess the possibilities of communication directly from a Labview application on a computer.

Profibus: you need a PCI card. NI, REF: 780160-01 is 1650€, is it possible to use others PCI cards (Siemens's ones are around 400€) ? I'm not very familiar with the drivers possibilities an such.

Modbus on TCP/IP, easy with the "NI MODBUS Library 1.2.1 ". On big projects, the DSC labview module could be useful. No questions about modbus.

In theory, you could use powerlink and profinet on an Ethernet port of the computer (both works on TCP/IP)... But i did not find any driver/soft that allow you to do such. Is there any? I know it's possible to program my own library, but i'm looking for solutions without too much developement.

There are PCI cards for Profinet (Labview friendly), is it the only solution?

Powerlink, i did not find anything significant about this subject, what's your opinion?

Thanks

Ps: I asked this question on the NI forum with no luck

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes i've been working on OPC servers, I made some OPC-DA and OPC-UA tests. Works great. (y)

But right now I'd like to know the possibilities of profibus/powerlink/profinet.

I have no experience with powerlink but google tells me it is OPC UA compliant. The kepserver site isn't loading for me but B&R do powerlink compliant OPC UA.

You should be able to go from LabView-OPC-Profinet without adding additional hardware.

edit: appears it can't do profinet, is this a PLC you are talking to can you talk to it direct?

Last edited:
Hi,

Indeed, it seems to be possible! Labview<->OPC-UA<->Powerlink
https://www.br-automation.com/fr/technologies/opc-ua/opc-ua-br/opc-ua-jusquaux-capteurs/
But in that case you need a B&R PLC to work as a gateway.

I assess possibilties to use differents types of communications directly from Labview. So to a PLC or something else.

Seems to me that profibus is ok but expensive (PCI card),
Profinet is a bit cheaper (PCI card),
Powerlink, you need a gateway

(I've also done modbus on TCP, OPC-DA and OPC-UA, but i have no questions on thoses).