Funny family thing

SMOKE

So I was putting in a new water heater for my mom and pops last weekend and my 13 year old daughter tells me "you cant do that your not an electrian????" This was a plumbing thing, but made me laugh that she doesn't know what I do.

Trying to explain to people that I'm studying engineering sucks lol.

"So you build buildings right?"

I've stoped saying im an industrial electrician and just say electrician becours people doesnt know what i do anyways, if they want to know more i tell them i fix and program machines :)

I like telling people I program robots and lasers for a living.

You can just see their imagination running wild! Like I am a technician for the Transformer movies!

Little do they know that it is six-axis pick and place machines and laser etchers/welders!

I also did my tour (about 6 years too long) on the robotics service side of the world....troubleshooting, programming, maintenance, and repair. Much like Dua Anjing I heard the same from my wife "he just flies around, stays at hotels and calls it work". When someone would ask what I did I told them I work on robots and followed that with a quick "it's not as cool as it sounds!" :nodi:

ah, so funny that on this subject my wife, only this week commented while I was watching 'Robot wars' on TV - " you could build one of those, it's what you do!'

(btw, I hope you guys in USA get the tv program 'robot wars' - it would appeal to everyone who frequents here)

Yeah I have seen that show several years back...not sure it still airs over here...but I always called it "Remote Control Car Wars".

Robot Wars should be autonomous machines that defend and attack on their own...guess that might get a little risky for a live audience.

I just tell people I do industrial automation, to which they usually reply, "Oh, so you put people out of work, huh?".

A former automation coworker was into the robot wars (it really was just a fancy armored remote control car). He flew over to the UK a few times to compete, I don't know if he still does it. Since he had a sponsor he got nice free English vacations out of it, you know, see the spectacular countryside, enjoy the excellent cuisine...

I just tell people I do industrial automation, to which they usually reply, "Oh, so you put people out of work, huh?".

When im in that mood i simply say i work with putting people out of a job when they ask what i work with, always funny seeing the horror in their faces hehe

I follow this up with: "We help local companies compete with the cheap off-shore labor by automating them, it is better to hire fewer people than to let the plant move or close." It usually helps.

So Tom drives a chew chew. You know them people have acknowledge an alarm to make sure there awake.

And I also get the putting people out of work. Sometimes the sooner the better.

I get enough miles now that I make sure my hotel has a bar and I go nowhere. Not fun by yourself.

I have sorta zipped through the wifes..... They don't speak logic.

Last edited:
Several years ago I had a younger cousin (he was probably 5 at the time) that asked if he could go with me on the train. After a few minutes I realized what he was talking about. He was pretty disappointed when I explained that I am a different kind of engineer.