Getting started with Siemens

PreLC

Hello PLCS.net!

I have a CPU315-2PN/DP with a CP343-1 attached to it.

What are the latest and greatest software associated with it? How do I 'Go online'? What licenses do I need to purchase to get started?

I know that Rockwell has licenses which are tied to the firmware. Does Siemens have something similar? What licenses apply?
Is there something like PCDC from rockwell for Siemens?

Also, what should In know about in order to move from programming Rockwell to Siemens?

Thanks!

Hello PLCS.net!

Also, what should In know about in order to move from programming Rockwell to Siemens?

Thanks!

Its a geographical oddity, you cant get there from here! Kidding, but be prepared for some really fundamental differences between the two. I would recommend that you read up on Siemens programming structure before you start to play around with it. This will save you a lot of headaches.

Pre
Step1
Do you know what version of Step7 was used to originally program your system?
Do you have a copy of this project?

Pre
Step1
Do you know what version of Step7 was used to originally program your system?
Do you have a copy of this project?

Well that's the thing. I do have the program for these systems, but nothing to run it off of.

Another part is that I have a brand new PLC sitting in my lab, and I just want to program it with the latest stuff for the line.

Thanks!
-PreLC

You can program the 315-2PN/DP Cpu with either the older generation software STEP7 v5.6 or the latest TIA portal v16.
In order to support S7-300, TIA Portal must be TIA Portal Pro which has support for S7-300/S7-400/S7-1200 and S7-1500.

If you just need to learn about the lastest Siemens software, it could be smarter to buy a starter kit with S7-1200 and TIA Portal - without the "Pro".
You can then learn the latest software concept which will be common wit the bigger S7-1500.

Heres the part number for V16 Step7 Professional
This is the latest on dvd
It will program your 315

6ES7822-1AA06-0YA5

I remember my first Siemens projects back in 2006. This forum helped me immensely.

S7 Guy, and a few others really shortened the learning curve for me. Thanks again BTW. What ever happened to S7 Guy?

Hey All,

Out here on the forum looking for usable information on Siemens TIA Portal.

Our company recently purchased a used machine utilizing a S7 1200 PLC
I purchased TIA Portal V15.1, then downgraded that to V13 SP1 (as that is what this PLC was programmed with).

I must say, in my 30+ years of industrial control, I have never seen anything this cryptic....
Siemens' support website, is just as bad, it's like they all assume the basics are somehow obvious....

As _Dock_ said, there are some real fundamental differences between TIA Portal and A-B (or most every other brand I have used).

Anybody have links to some good training tutorials?

Regards,
JohnR

Hey All,

Out here on the forum looking for usable information on Siemens TIA Portal.

Our company recently purchased a used machine utilizing a S7 1200 PLC
I purchased TIA Portal V15.1, then downgraded that to V13 SP1 (as that is what this PLC was programmed with).

I must say, in my 30+ years of industrial control, I have never seen anything this cryptic....
Siemens' support website, is just as bad, it's like they all assume the basics are somehow obvious....

As _Dock_ said, there are some real fundamental differences between TIA Portal and A-B (or most every other brand I have used).

Anybody have links to some good training tutorials?

Regards,
JohnR

Posting another question onto someone else's post is kinda frowned upon. Your best bet is to start a new post. If there is info on this one that is related to your question you can always refer back to it.

Aw, gee, sorry, Firejo....

I thought it was basically the same question, and that someone here could post a reply that helped both the OP and myself.....

I don't think it required a jabbing on forum etiquette, I think that's kinda frowned upon also....

If you can't provide answers, then stay out of the conversation...

So, anyone else?... How does one work with this silly Siemens software?

JohnR

JRW,

Thanks for that helpful information...

After reviewing some youtube tutorials I come upon the realization that my biggest problem is that my first introduction to TIA is a program written by a programmer who made almost all the ladder code into FC's (functions), with just a smattering of visible ladder in the OB's...
There are four OB's, each containing FC's containing multiple other FC's and a little ladder logic... Very confusing...

To me that kinda equates to having subroutines stacked inside subroutines inside subroutines if you were in A-B land.

I'm gonna have to do some more exploration...

JohnR

Last edited:
Siemens support and knowledge base is far superior to rockwell or any other automation software or hardware manufacturer. Siemens forums contain answers to just about every question you have.
Yes the answers sometimes seem to assume we have certain knowledge and sometimes you have to to ask for more detail before getting the answer you want but that is the nature of most human beings. I had the same concern and years later realized I answer in the same non specific way because I either don't have the time or not sure how much the person knows.
My advice is to open yourself to indoctrination as learning software is exactly that. I hate it but that's life. Learn how to search their forums and yes google.
Search this site and you will find that your question has been asked and answered many times and I saved the links to many of those posts as they had links to very valuable resources.