Kinetix 350 - F54- Excessive Position Error

alive15

Hello, I getting the above fault on my Kinetix 350 drive(2097-v33pr5-lm), using studio 5k on laptop.. This system has ran good for the past 2 years, so here is what I have done. I have checked for any mechanical binds first, which appear good. However, I received fault again after running 3 parts.

Next, I unplugged both feedback and power cable on motor side and connectors appeared good on cable, and the pins looked good on the motor itself. After plugging these back in, I received same fault after few parts.

Next, I re-cycled power on entire machine (which restarted the servo drive). Currently, it has ran for the last 30 minutes or so, but I'm sure it will fault out again soon, so looking for potential ways to troubleshoot this?

The manual says to check the feedback connections. How else can I check this cable? Is this just a mere inspection to make sure it looks good, or is there something I can measure using a volt/ohm meter?

Also, I read elsewhere that re-running hookup test and auto-tune is very helpful, so I may try that next. Any other tips or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

I will try that, but why did restarting the panel temporarily solve the issue? To me that would point towards the drive. If it was something in the feedback cable, wouldn't re-plugging it back in fix this issue?

I can't disagree with your thought train.

However, the cable is the quickest and cheapest thing to rule out, as opposed to swapping the drive or motor.

I'm not an expert on the Kinetix drives, but if "position error" in Kinetix is what I think it is, try reducing the acceleration rate a little.

Position error is what the servo uses to command torque. It is the difference between where the axis is and where the controller thinks it should be. The greater the position error, the more torque gets commanded to reduce it.
Over the two years the drive has been in service, things may have worn to the point where now it takes more torque to move the axis than it took two years ago. It is possible that during acceleration the drive is operating at its current limit. While accelerating at current limit, the axis is builds up position error.
There may also be a setting for the allowable amount of position error.

Sometimes it faults out while moving, other times it may fault out just sitting there. It is random, not at the same point every time. So maybe this points towards a cable issue. I'm unsure myself, it's a very weird problem to have.

Position error while sitting still would make me start to think about electrical noise. Some things to ponder:
Has there been anything new installed or started in the vicinity of this machine (variable frequency drives, welders, other servos)?
Is the shielding for the feedback cable properly connected?
Is the drive and all electrical components connected to a single ground point along with the structure of the machine?
Try to watch position error live. Does the value grow? You may have to increase the allowable position error in order to see it change without faulting.
Is there excessive vibration on the machine?

Just a few things to think about.

I had the same issue, figured out there was a barrier - long screw which blocked the motor running more, I was just surprised the screw was not cut but instead motor stopped the running command.