CE Compliant Wire Color Code (@Europeans)

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are creating a CE compliant version of one of our products, for sale in Ireland and the UK. We would like to use Brown for VDC+ and Blue for 0VDC. With 0VDC not being earth bonded. it seems that IEC Color code states that Brown and grey are to be used for non earth bonded system, and that Brown and Blue are to be used on a 0VDC earth bonded system.

If we use Brown and Blue for both are earth bonded and non-earth bonded is that going to cause an issue with being CE Compliant?

This covers 99% of standard panels:

24vdc (+24vdc and 0vdc) are usually always dark blue.

Brown is for P1 230v into the cabinet until the main isolator and black after.

Don't use brown for 24vdc.

Nearly all installs in mainland Europe will have 0vdc grounded to earth, UK and Ireland generally not.

Regardless, dark blue is always used for 24vdc and 0vdc

Brown for P1, Black for P2 and Grey for P3, which then turn to all black after the main isolator (disconnect)

You use the same wire color for both +24VDC and 0VDC ? :unsure: That seem potentially confusing.

Is that defined in a standard?

I always thought IEC Color code for +24VDC was Brown and 0VDC was blue the more I read though the more contradictory things I find.

Better question issss there a IEC Standard for +24VDC and 0VDC colors or is the Color code only for AC wires?

Last edited:
What I generally see from European panels (different manufacturers) is blue for +24vdc and white for 0vdc

You used to see white for 0vdc but that was a few years ago now.

You would never, ever use brown for and grey for 24vdc control voltage inside a cabinet.

All 24vdc and 0vdc is now dark blue.

Safety circuits within the cabinet are usually dark blue also and safety circuits that continue outside the cabinet are usually orange.

Simple guide:
https://www.rowse.co.uk/blog/post/control-panel-wire-colour-codes

Note power ciruit colours & control colours, which is where I think you are getting confused.

Because the wiring colours changed some years ago i.e. red,yellow,blue, black were ph1, ph2, ph3 & neutral in that order but it changed to brown, black,grey, blue so it would not be ethical to use these colours for other voltages, i.e. it is generally light blue for 24v DC and orange (in an isolated enclosure) for external interface cables.

You didn't ask, but, we are very big on IP20 finger safe for all terminals, those on devices and those on terminal rails, or the devices have to be behind protective covers that require a tool to be removed.

If you are protecting against electric shock by using a PELV circuit then the regulations say that one side shall be connected to the 'protective bonding circuit', sorry if this disagrees with janner_10 statement about UK and Ireland.

As I read it the only colours that are set in stone within an enclosure is the earth which shall be green/yellow and Neutral that shall be blue and preferably pale blue. Then only if the identification is by colour alone. Everything else is covered by should.

The regs use shall and should, shall means it must be like this, should means we really would like it to be like this but you don't have to.

I have seen in many installations, blue for +24VDC and blue with white stripe for 0VDC.
Yup. Although the current standard defines only blue for 24VDC circuits, almost everyone finds it useful to distinguish between +DC and the common by using blue/white.

Brown for +24VDC is sooo yesterday :) I can't remember when did this standard change but change it did.

You used to see white for 0vdc but that was a few years ago now.

You would never, ever use brown for and grey for 24vdc control voltage inside a cabinet.

All 24vdc and 0vdc is now dark blue.

Safety circuits within the cabinet are usually dark blue also and safety circuits that continue outside the cabinet are usually orange.

Simple guide:
https://www.rowse.co.uk/blog/post/control-panel-wire-colour-codes

Note power ciruit colours & control colours, which is where I think you are getting confused.

We still use white for 24VDC.

What I have from EN60757 (which is linked to from EN60204-1) is this:
BLACK: AC and DC power circuits
RED: AC control circuits
BLUE: DC control circuits
ORANGE: interlock control circuits supplied from an external power source.
YELLOW/GREEN: Protective ground.
And that is it. There is nothing more.

It is allowed to diverge from the standard. In that case you must document it.
Some variants I have seen are
AC Neutral, RED with white stripe,or PINK.
DC Gnd, BLUE with a white stripe, or LIGHT BLUE.

It's always been as clear as mud, with electricians using anything they have.

To the best of my knowledge, you can use any colour you like except green/yellow.

But normal practice would be to only use brown for 220/240V ac control.
I know light blue is the preferred colour for 24 dc, but in many existing panels, you end up with dc blue and 220v neutral blue being very alike and a pain when troubleshooting at 4:00 am.
Same applies to black, it has been used in the past as a 220v neutral and a 24v minus.
Then this "new" 60204-1 says to use light blue for both plus and minus dc, how anyone thinks that's a good idea beats me.
I personally rightly or wrongly always use violet as +24V and white as -24V.

In my opinion, the really important bit is you DO NOT use the same colour for two different voltages in the same panel.

Last edited: