Devicenet and a backup?

darrenj

a client of mine had a new machine installed about 6 months ago. now all of there recipies are in the processor (All entered via PV+), The processor is a compactlogix and there is some Devicenet devices installed. They asked me to upload the proccessor info as a backup, in case the proccesor failed. Question is if it fails and i replace with a new and download the program will the devicenet stuff be there?

I would back up the PLC Program, the Panelview Program, and the DeviceNet Program. Then you will be safe all the way around.

Darren
Assuming that you are using an AB PLC the answer is probably no but this is not the whole story. If you have configured the DeviceNet system using RS Networx then the configuration is stored in the scanner and not the processor so you will not lose the DeviceNet setup if the processor fails. You will, however, need to back up the DeviceNet configuration seperately. I personally like the arrangement available on some other PLC's (ie Mitsubishi) whereby you can write your DeviceNet configuration into the PLC code and apply it on startup. This is also possible using Prosoft cards with AB and it means that you never have to worry about configuring a scanner if you need to change one. I suspect that it is possible to do this with AB kit but it is not obvious to me where I would start.
Andybr

You should back up the controller's program (*.ACD in RSLogix 5000), the PanelView's configuration (*.MER) and the DeviceNet configuration of the scanner and all the slave devices(*.DNT).

A Logix controller can be made to store a DeviceNet scanner's scanlist (there's a procedure involving CIP messaging to each scanlist object) but when you upload the configuration from every configurable DeviceNet node into the *.DNT file, you get those important configurations too.

Thanks. I figured there was one one more step but wasnt sure. Also i remeber regular RSlinx lite or RSlinx for ME wont let me upload the DNT file? I have rslogix 5000 standard (with FB add on) and i do believe i updated to version 13 or 13.5?

Thanks

D

RSLinx Classic Lite will work fine with RSNetworx for DeviceNet. Make sure you have all the EDS files for the CompactLogix and 1769-SDN or you won't be able to browse through the CompactLogix to the DeviceNet network.

Thanks Ken..I was a little off but i knew there was a program or upgrade iw didnt have to see the devicenet, Thanks for reminding me it is RSnetworx.

I realy should just bit the bullet and upgrade.

D

Remamber also that any recipe changes made after the backup will not be in your backup so regular backups could be necessary.
Regards Alan Case