B&R 2010 Upgrade project

linx7323

We have a client with a multiple offset printing presses that currently utilize B&R System 2010 which is obsolete. It has became impossible to locate many of the B&R components primarily the MP100 Multiprocessor unit the system utilizes. We are looking for someone to hire to help upgrade to a newer system or update the current system to eliminate the massive downtime currently faced. Any input or anyone interested is greatly appreciated

Who made/retrofitted the presses? That's who I'd call first since they will at least have documentation on how the machine works.

I've done a lot of flexo and digital presses with B&R; I'd take it on, but I'm swamped. Any B&R integrator should be able to handle it since B&R came out with quite good canned functions for winders and tensioning; practically a press in a function block. I don't even know who the B&R integrators are in TX though, it might be an area they cover directly and B&R does have application resources to do this directly (they just tend to be priced in a way that makes 3rd party integrators attractive).

I'm rusty on the product timeline, but System 2010 is at least 20 years old because I have a PDF of a 1998 catalog that has it in there, along with the successor 2005 and 2003 lines, so it must be a few years older than that. Can't say I've ever worked with it as it was already phased out when I started.

The Press is a Concept manufactured by Mueller Martini. The client has quantity two presses. The B&R 2MP100.5 Multi-processor module is the only failed part keeping one of the two presses from operating. The press OEM offers a PLC update with a fairly hefty price tag per press. The failed multi-processor is non-repairable, so our client is looking for all available options and associated cost before deciding which route to go.

You might contact Osprey Design in Virginia Beach. They retrofit old B&R Presses (though usually only ones from RG Engineering). I think Muller Martini formerly had a facility right down the road in Newport News which may be where those presses were born. Osprey might have picked up a guy or two from there.

There is a chance they will say no just to avoid stepping on Muller Martini's toes though.