PanelView Alarms Not Displaying

beethoven_ii

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on a project where the customer has specified I must use the HMI tag database for my HMI tags and not reference directly to the tag in the plc.

I've done this but have now discovered that my alarms don't display on the HMI screen. In the plc I have an array of 10 DINTs Alarm[0]-[9]. I added each DINT to the HMI tag database as long integers with a max value of 2147483647. I added the DINTs from the tag database as alarm triggers using the trigger type as a bit. I've added the text for my alarm messages 1-32 for each DINT but the alarms don't appear on the screen.

I've switched the triggers from the tag database to directly referencing the Alarm DINTs in the plc and it works fine this way but it's against what my customer wants. I've run out of ideas on how to make this work and wondered if anyone has a solution, other than creating an HMI tag for every bit of my Alarm DINT array?

Sounds like the DINT are not mapped in the tag Database.

If you placed your tags in a folder then the trigger should be: Folder\Tag name

If you placed your tag in the Root folder then the trigger should be: Tag name

In your case each DINT would require a tag name; Alarm0 = [PLC shortcut]Alarm[0]
DINT tag database.PNG

Your PLC DINT 0-31 will align with Alarm Message 1-32. But it sounds you have that part.
alarm messages.PNG

Also if your alarm screen is using the filter option then the new triggers would need to be added to the filter list.

alarm filter.PNG

You can export the tag database to verify the mapping for each folder and tag name. You'll find it under Tools>Tag Import and Export Wizard...

export tags.PNG

Thanks for your reply. I still haven't figured out how t include attachments properly in this forum so apologies now if this goes wrong.

My RsLinx set up is in the attached 'Linx.png' with CP500 being the name of my comms path.

My entries in the HMI tag database for the DINT elements for my alarms are in the attached 'HMI Tag DB.png'

My HMI tag DB triggers are in the attached 'Tag DB Triggers.png'

My direct addressed alarms triggers are in the attached 'Direct Triggers.png'

My alarm messages are in the attached 'Alarm Messages.png'

The HMI tag database triggers don't display my alarm messages but the direct addressed ones do.

Linx.png HMI Tag DB.png Tag DB Triggers.png Direct Triggers.png Alarm Messages.png

your trigger name is Label3 for Alarm_Word_2. Use the drop down in the Message file to pick your trigger. I would rename Label3 to Alarm_Word_2

Last edited:
You can disregard the previous post. I posted it without access to my software. I double checked this morning and the Label only shows in the filter options. I knew I remembered it showing somewhere. Sorry for the confusion. I don't see any reason for it not to show except the filter option. If any trigger is set in the filter option, then that's the only alarms that will show. If filter is clear then the screen shows all alarms.

Good Luck with your project.

label select.PNG

Thanks for trying to help.
After downloading another screen on site where the alarms worked I dug deeper and found it was the curse of the underscore. My communications path title for the project was CP_500 and yet in my alarm tag definitions I had put CP500 for the Alarm words. That's twice in recent weeks an underscore has caught me out in FTView.