Logix 5000 platform, excel and data logging

ELake20

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm laying everything out for a major upgrade to our hydraulic flow test stand. I've run into some problems/questions about how I can make everything translate from using DAQ boards (measurement computing to be exact) to a PLC based system.

The DAQ stuff is programmed via visual basic (or visual studio 2006 in my case) I'm sick of writing it in VB and would much prefer ladder logic. The measurement computing stuff works great for data acquisition, but it is terrible at controlling I/O.

The I/O control portion of the PLC is no problem to me, but the data acquisition stuff poses a couple questions.
Currently we use Microsoft Excel and import values to this during a "test" run. We plot nitrogen pressure (for our nitrogen filled hydraulic accumulator), upstream pressure, downstream pressure, Main poppet position (LVDT mounted on test valve), Flow, and accumulator position. There is also a velocity sensor incorporated into the LVDT for accumulator position. This is how flow is calculated.

The values are recorded every 1ms for 3 seconds. This equates to 3000 cells of data per sensor.
I've got a 15" PV+ on order and am relying on Windows CE platform on the PV+ to allow me to do something with Microsoft Excel. I'm looking at possible ways to write the data to the spreadsheet, but can't find any examples or know of a good place to start.

We are a small company and are intrested in getting into providing control systems for our valves. If we are building and testing the valves, it only makes sense that we have a control solution for those valves. We "plan" to use this PLC as a demo to prospective clients.

Any ideas or good places to start with the excel write functions?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
Their are good examples on this site for making calls from and to Excel here.

However, I think this might be a good place for a VB app.
Their are VB drivers to read from PLC's to VB such as Automated Solutions ($800). Their are also VB activex's that can plot that data. I use one from ecGraph ($200).

I did a similair app awhile back. The VB app look for a complete signal. It then reads, plots, prints and saves the data.

Thanks I will do some serious forum scouring this afternoon...

I'm thinking this will be a great opportunity for me to use indirect addressing..I've always wanted to use it, this data acquisition project sounds like an awesome opportunity to do this.

I'm only 24 and I've been doing this stuff since I got out of high school. I'm always learning and have had some great teachers along the way. This forum is awesome I truly appreciate everybodys thoughts!!