Kinetix 300 Brake Wiring / Operation

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
i'm trying to get the brake operation to work. I have wired up the relay as per the attached diagram as detailed in the manual to a relay:

Capture.png

Now when the drive in enabled, the relay is energised and when disabled, the relay is not.

Now unless I have completely mis-understood the operation of the brake on this drive, that is not how I want it to work.

I was expecting the drive to release the break for an index move and re-apply once the motion is complete.

Can anyone shine any light?

In my experience--although not with this particular model of drive--servo drives that have connections for brakes are usually meant for use with spring-set, power-released brakes and will power the brake (i.e. release it) whenever the motor power is enabled. If I understand your description correctly, that is the behavior you are seeing.

If you want the brake to release and set with each index move, you will probably need to control it in a different way, like from your PLC. You could possibly configure one of the drive's digital outputs for an "in motion" signal that would release the brake, but this wouldn't have the short delays that are necessary to prevent excessive brake wear.

Last edited:
Yeah that makes sense, its only an indexer and not a proper grown up servo. I can control from the CLX it is talking too but this seemed easier. Sadly wasn't to be.

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully I got the correct thread
one this I noticed is that you state the brake output is energized when the drive is enabled.
Generally when you enable a drive it just means that it is ready to run but not producing any output. you need a run command to actually run ( produce output to the motor)
Reprogram the brake output to energize when the drive in actually running ( producing and output to the motor)
most drive have an output preprogramed to energize an output when ready you have to program an output to energize when running

When the drive is enabled, the motor may not be moving but it will produce enough torque to resist any external attempt to make it move. So, when enabled it does not need the brake to hold it stationary. That's why the brake is released as soon as the drive is enabled. When not enabled it needs the brake to prevent an external force from moving it.
Some drives have a parameter that you can set to delay the brake release a short time after enabling the drive. That gives the drive time to develop holding torque. It is particularly important on vertical axes where the load is capable of driving the motor.

Last edited: