After power up of CompactLogix Yellow Triangle on PowerFlex 525

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

We have been running a machine , PLC and PowerFlex 525 for over a year. For some unknown reason , I have a Yellow Triangle on the Ethernet PowerFlex 525 tree , with a ( Code 16#0116 ) Electronic Keying Mismatch: Major and or Minor revision invalid or incorrect. What could cause this ? I am able to ping the IP Address. I was thinking of clicking the Change Button in properties , and upload the parameters . Not sure if this is what I want to do or not .

Any suggestions ?

Thanks so much for your help .

Did somebody change the drive or upgrade the drive firmware without changing the Drive profile in RSL5000???

Compare the two revisions to see which has changed??

It would be easiest to match the project with the drive provided the parameters are correct for your motor application. You should check those as well as its possible the drive was replaced and only the IP address was set, not the motor nameplate ratings.. Better safe than sorry. That's what I run into anyway with some of our maintenance techs.

No Sir . Nobody replaced the drive . The only difference from Friday night till
This morning , was power was shutdown on the panel .

Thanks for your input .

Has the power EVER been cycled since the drive was installed? I ask because f you have ADC enabled, and someone added the drive but never SAVED the new configuration / firmware rev in 5000, as soon as the power is lost, it all reverts back to the previous version.

It's also possible that the non-volatile memory has been set to On Power-Up or On Corrupt Memory, and an old program has been pulled out of the memory card.

So...... Is it the drive that has the wrong version of firmware or the PLC module has the wrong version defined. Do you know if it was the drive or the PLC that was changed somehow???

There are 3 levels of Electronic Keying...

None
Compatible Module
Exact Match

Only the last two could give you the Code 16#0116 : Electronic Keying Mismatch: Major and or Minor revision invalid or incorrect, sine the "None" mode doesn't check the revision levels, only the module type.

In "Compatible Module" mode (which is the default), the Major revision has to match the configuration, but the Minor revision just has to be at least what is in the configuration. Most people leave this at 1 so that any module Minor revision, within the specified Major revision, will be accepted.

Exact Match mode, does what it says on the tin..... both the Major and Minor revisions of the module have to match the numbers put into the configuration.

With that in mind, another possibility is that someone added another 525 drive elsewhere in that network that had a newer revision of firmware, then using Firmware Manager, they globally updated the 5000 program, but forgot to globally update the other drive(s) at the same time, or that particular existing drive had a major firmware / hardware rev difference and couldn’t be updated. So all of your 5000 profiles are looking for the newer rev, but that drive no longer matches.

They would have been given an error message when doing that, but may not have understood the impact or may not have cared, chosing instead to “kick it down the road”... to you!

Last edited:
They are all good points , and I will look into them. No , nothing has been changed . I will check all that you suggested .

Thanks so much.