PLC in Pocket PC

kaybill17

Is there any chance that pocket pc could be used together with plcs in the near future... :rolleyes: such as connecting a small PLC in a pocket PC, ie. compaq ipaq pocket pc to an FP0-C14RS...just wondering.. :unsure:

Well, maybe. My company introduced a ladder-logic monitoring software package about two years ago that ran on the Jornada handheld PC. It was discontinued about four months ago because of slow sales and the difficulty of keeping up the software releases to run on the rapidly-changing CE/PocketPC/XPEmbedded operating systems.

Oh, and one more reason.... theft rates were preposterous. My demo survived just five weeks before disappearing. I don't know a single sales office who has anything but the charging cradle left.

A clever company called Narly Software offers a limited-utility HMI for the Palm Pilot. I myself use my Palm as a serial terminal all the time.

You may want to follow news on Bluetooth. I read an article in Design News (July 8,2002) page 60 that talks about this in general and shows some practical applications with PDA's and laptops.

Be careful that you do not allow anyone to change any outputs using PDAs -- only monitor. There already are horror stories about bad mistakes happening.