BootP server Disable Bootp button not working

What version are you running ?

My Version is BOOTP/DHCP Server Version 2.3.2.0

Buttons work fine....

Yes, they used to for me too. I'm now running v3.01.00, and it doesn't work. I suspect that this is the same issue the OP is having. I've tried it a hundred times - set and IP, and then press the "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" button - and nothing. As soon as I try to do it by clicking Tools>Disable BOOTP/DHCP, it works instantly.

To be honest, I've never tried enabling BOOTP/DHCP from the buttons (or the Tools menu) - I've never had the need to set a device to BOOTP. But it sounds like that works just fine, and just the "Disable" button never had it's code attached.

EDIT: You replied before me ASF. Read on for some pertinent info...

unsaint32 said:
...apologies for not clearly stating that my Bootp disabling was unsuccessful...

No need to apologise. Your post was clearly titled...

unsaint32 said:
BootP server Disable Bootp button not working

...but you can see how the best of us can be confused from time to time with what the OP is about. A simple opening explanation that it was not a new out-of-the-box device and that BOOTP/DHCP was already disabled would have gone a long way toward clarifying the initial device status. Not to worry. Hindsight and all that...

Speaking of...

In fact, it's I who owe you an apology. I called you out on not providing details on the device in question, but your attached screenshot provided more than enough details to keep even me happy. It just failed to load and open when I first viewed and replied here using my not so smartphone. So I had not seen it until today on my fancy new 23" monitor in work.

unsaint32 said:
...After reading the replies, I tried Bootp-disabling from the drop down menu (right clicking on the relation). And it worked perfectly. I got the message at the bottom of the BootP server software saying it was successful. RS Linx port config changed...

That's good to hear and I'm glad the simpler advice helped you (because we don't have to get into the other possible causes!) but I want clarify something here, which, in doing so, could actually add more confusion than not. But I do like a challenge...

Having now viewed your screenshot, and your mention of which version of RSLinx Classic you are using (v3.81), you have triggered one of my mind's many storage pointers which makes me go "Hmm, I seem to recall something about that?"

I'm a Devil for reading release notes and they are one of the many resources I use to store tidbits of info for later recollection...

RSLinx Classic v3.81 Release Notes

...Updated BootP Tool - BootP DHCP Server renames to BootP DHCP EtherNet/IP Commissioning Tool...

RSLinx Classic, up to v3.80, installs "BootP DHCP Server" up to v2.3.2

RSLinx Classic, v3.81 or later, installs "BootP DHCP EtherNet/IP Commissioning Tool" starting at v3.00

The "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" button, in this particular software, may "never" have worked for ASF, or "always" worked for daba, but for the rest of us less absolute cases, this thread has prompted me to make a distinction between what has historically not worked for some and what has not worked, specifically, for you here...

unsaint32 said:
...I didn't know the disable-bootp button often does not work as Bit_Bucket pointed out...

Often, yes, but Bit_Bucket_07 is referring, no doubt, to the historical failures of this particular feature in previous versions of this configuration software. But your version is newer.

There are several reasons, which we have not gotten into here, as to why the older software (up to v2.3.2) might not have worked for disabling BOOTP/DHCP. Reasons which are external to the software. To my knowledge, there has never been any admission by Rockwell that the older versions of the software itself was to blame for such issues. Most to all cases I've encountered where disable will not work from the software was resolved by correcting one or more of the reasons we still haven't mentioned.

However, (patience, I'm getting there) for the newer software versions of this tool, they have publicly stated that there is a known specific issue with the Enable and Disable BOOTP/DHCP button and that you are advised to use the menu option instead (or right-click option in Relation List that I've mentioned)...

948444 - Enable/Disable BOOTP/DHCP buttons have no effect in Bootp DHCP Utility 3.00.00
Access Level: TechConnect

To be clear - the distinction I'm making here is this...

The older versions of the BootP software tool may appear not to function correctly for many reasons, but the buttons in the software themselves have never been proven or admitted as being a direct cause of such malfunctions.

The newer versions of the BootP software tool may also appear not to function correctly for many reasons, but the buttons in the software themselves have specifically been proven and admitted as being a direct cause of such malfunctions.

unsaint32 said:
...Thank you so much everybody for educating me.

I do hope that was somewhat further educational.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I don't know what amuses me more about that...

That RA have actually come out and said "yes, it's broken"
That RA have said "yes, it's broken" and not bothered to fix it for probably around 12 months (I mean, it can't be a massive fix)
That you need a TechConnect contract to view a technote that says "we forgot to attach some code to this button, use the other button instead"

🤾

ASF,

While all this is amusing you, I still think, for the sake of not confusing others, and the furthering of my point, that we should go back and qualify your earlier statement here...

ASF said:
I have not once had those buttons work to enable or disable BOOTP.

Using the enable/disable BOOTP menu item works every time.

I wonder if whoever wrote this particular iteration of the BOOTP server just forgot to attach the code to those buttons :D

Is it true to say that you were stating here that the buttons have never worked for you, specifically while using the newer BootP DHCP EtherNet/IP Commissioning Tool v3.01, and that you were not referring to while using the older BootP DHCP Server, up to v2.3.2?

ASF said:
Yes, they used to for me too. I'm now running v3.01.00, and it doesn't work...

...And here I believe you are somewhat qualify the same thing? The older version of the utility did work for you from the buttons but the newer version does not?

ASF said:
...That RA have actually come out and said "yes, it's broken"...

...and finally, that here you are referring to RA admitting that there is a known issue with the buttons specifically in the newer version of the utility "BootP DHCP EtherNet/IP Commissioning Tool" and that you are not suggesting that they are admitting to a long standing issue with the buttons historically, for the older "BootP DHCP Server" versions as well.

I just wouldn't want readers to get confused, while reading through the thread, and assume that all versions of this software have a known "buttons" issue. Because that is not the case here. The issue mentioned in the technote I linked is specific to the newer version of the software only - "BootP DHCP EtherNet/IP Commissioning Tool".

For issues with BootP not disabling from the older versions of the software, I am not aware of any known issues specifically with the software GUI buttons. It has been my experience, in most cases, that it is a configuration error in the software itself, the Operating System, or beyond.

These, again, are the possible external causes for the older software that we still have not mentioned here, in detail, and do not need to mention now, because we know the OP is using the newer version of the utility and their issue is/was specific to the known buttons issues.

Confusingly clear, right?

G.

Last edited:
Hi George - yes, you've hit the nail right on the head.

In older versions of the BOOTP tool, the button always worked for me, inasmuch as it sent the required command. As to whether the command did what I wanted it to do (i.e. enable or disable BOOTP/DHCP), well, that of course depends on whether I've done everything else right (like made sure I have the right IP settings, made sure interfering network adapters are disabled, making sure a PLC hasn't already grabbed the connection to the target, etc). But it would always attempt to send the command when I clicked it.

In v3.01, the button does not send the command at all (or at least, gives no indication of attempting to send a command), nor does it have the desired effect of disabling or enabling BOOTP/DHCP. All other things being equal, the menu option will perform the function correctly.

I just want to chime in and say that I was having this issue today with the latest V3.02 and JZerb's tip on the right click menu saved the day for me.

I actually wire-sharked it and the button definitely is non-functional most of the time, no command of any kind is generated. However, it did work at least twice for me (no other way to turn off DHCP on SMC EX260 valve banks), so it isn't as simple as them forgetting to connect a method to the button click. They've got it jacked up a little worse than that.

I have not once had those buttons work to enable or disable BOOTP.

Using the enable/disable BOOTP menu item works every time.

I wonder if whoever wrote this particular iteration of the BOOTP server just forgot to attach the code to those buttons :D
I definitely that the code is not linked to the button for the disable command. I have gone round and round on several occasions with this issue. The command in the drop down list works fine, but the button does NOT work. I use this utility so infrequently that I forget that the button does not work, and I run it and run it and run it and run it, until I happen to use the drop down list command instead of the button. The enable button works fine however. Old thread but just finished going round and round with it, so I had to come to the forum and give my 2 cents.