Can I detect an SM3000's network connection with a compactlogix plc?

Russ

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an SM3000 on the same network with a few compactlogix plcs. One of the issues with the SM3000 is that it periodically loses its ethernet comms: ABB said it's due to the old firmware, and that there's nothing we can do.
We've found rebootong it restores the driver and restores comms; however, I'd love to automate this, and set up an alert for when it occurs, so we can track it.

I've partially automated the reboot - adding a momentary to an HMI screen, but that still often requires VPN and VNC (since this is a remote site).

Use the GSV instruction to detect when communications is lost. I've run into similar situations, I used the GSV to detect the comm loss and cycled power of the device using a relay.