Shift register assistance (Modicon)

Bob Bass

Working with a AutomationDirect plc and need to simulate the application prior to plc installation. Since they do no have a simulation utility (or at least I don't), have duplicated the program in Modicon's Concept (for which I do have a simulation utility). BUT... I have questions on how a shift register works in Concept.

In the AutomationDirect plc, the shift register works good (using addresses C100 thru C1777). How does the shift register know where the addresses are, or what they are in Concept ? Do I have to allocate an address range ?

Any help is most appreciated. I am attempting to wrap the program up today for delivery to the customer on Monday morning.

Bob Bass

Concept Shift Register

What command are you using, BROT, SHxx, ROxx, FIFO, or LIFO? How many bits are you trying to shift at one time? Over how many total?

To create data sources you need to define them as located variables, 4xxxx for 16 bit words and 0xxxx for single bits. If you are using single bits, you need to be sure they begin on word boundaries (i.e. 0x1->0x16, 0x17->0x32, 0x33->0x48). A group of sequential data types can be defined as an array, such as boolarr32 for 32 consecutive bits.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. What I was attempting to recreate the periodic shifting of 1024 bits and getting a bit based on a time constant. Was finally sucessful in doing it using SET_BIT, SHL_WORD, and a few GET_BIT function blocks. Although it was only 16 bits long, the process worked. Needed this data stream in the proof of concept for a larger process.

Today I commissioned the unit and all went well. Thankfully <g>

Thanks again for your reply.

Bob Bass

Suprising how much one does not retain after being away it for a couple of years.