1747-SDN Firmware Upgrade?

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Well hopefully one of you guys has an answer for me !

I have a 1747-SDN Series B rev 2.01

I want to upgrade the firmware to 6.002

Well this has been going on for 2 weeks now and i am not a lot further forward!

The UK Distributor of AB stuff has just come back to me and said that its not possible and i need to buy a new scanner with the latest FW

I have looked on AB's site and seen the download for the Flash Upgrade for SDN firmware, this doesnt work on my scanner as its below 3.xxx (I think) I get an error SDN not flash upgradeable etc

I have further found on the RA KB that i can buy a firmware upgrade kit F1747-SDN to upgrade my 2.01 SDN...........

Well i ordered this only to be told its not an AB part number (by the distributor) and i need to buy a new scanner!!

Its started to get me going now!

Today i got an email from RA UK tech support that i need to upgrade the FW of the scanner to 3.xxx before i can flash to 6.002, they say thay are going to email me the upgrade to 3.xxx

Well apart from 2 weeks down the line and being p1ssed off can anyone tell me the correct answer / method or shall i just post my scanner to the UK Distbributor in pieces ?

504bloke said:
Today i got an email from RA UK tech support that i need to upgrade the FW of the scanner to 3.xxx before i can flash to 6.002, they say thay are going to email me the upgrade to 3.xxx

I got an emailed file from them today

Its a flash upgrade for a 1756-DNB

Doh ;)

Anybody :unsure:

Last edited:
My recollection is that v1 and v2 modules need to get a manual upgrade to v3 (it's different boot code) before ControlFlash can be used on them. This may mean using an older Flash tool, which I think used a direct driver for the 1770-KFD.

It's probably best to have your module upgraded by sending it for repair, with the specification that the purpose of the repair order is to upgrade it. That way you don't have to mess with software utilities from 10 years ago.

Ken Roach said:
My recollection is that v1 and v2 modules need to get a manual upgrade to v3 (it's different boot code) before ControlFlash can be used on them. This may mean using an older Flash tool, which I think used a direct driver for the 1770-KFD.

It's probably best to have your module upgraded by sending it for repair, with the specification that the purpose of the repair order is to upgrade it. That way you don't have to mess with software utilities from 10 years ago.

So if im right then i cant flash a 2.xx firmware sdn ?

I can send it to RA i suppose, i havent asked this of them yet!

But whats an F1747-SDN ? (Which i have to pay for )?

Ken Roach said:

This is correct Ken. RA told me they would email me this but emailed the flash upgrade for a 1756-DNB instead!

Dont Suppose anyone has the old manual upgrade from v2 to v3 ?

I have tried the v4.xxx that RSdoran posted and this has the same error as the 6.xxx utility in that it reports that it cannot flash as its incompatible!