Remote OPC (a.k.a. DCOM hell)

couldn't help it writing an OPC program here on one machine, tracking a PLC problem on the other and the 3rd has this going, think I got tooooooooo much on my plate. was taking a time out and looking for a good wrapper for OPCDA and noticed a problem I'd had before. oh well since it was way back guess it isn't a problem anymore.

Well, I'm still doing battle with remote OPC hell so zombie or not. I did use OPCExpert and it does a good job showing what the possible problems could be but are still having problems.

Now I can see the remote OPC server but can't see the tags. I have matching user/password account on both server and client but do I need to LOG IN as one of the matching user at both computer?

I can't believe I'm still battling this. This time at a different site. Two machine set up the same but one works and another doesn't. No, I'm not asking for help troubleshooting it since it would be futile but what are people do with Remote OPC these days?

At some of our sites, they just go old school and went all Modbus. I will probably give up and go with some kind tunneler.