RS Logix 5000 Ver. 20 vs Ver.17

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

We received a machine from a integrator that has a CompactLogix 1769-L32E in it. The program was done in Ver.20
, but the plant I am working in only has Ver. 17 on their laptops , and I cannot go online with it , until I downgrade
the processor to ver.17. I am willing to do this , but the integrator is making modifications to their program and will be e-mailing that in Ver. 20. I would like to do an update to ver. 20 , but cannot find the serial numbers for the software , and the support contract as ran out. Do you see any problem with leaving the whole system ver. 17 ?

Has of right now.....

1769-L32E Controller - Firmware Revision 19.11

Offline Project - Firmware Revision 17.02

When I flash the firmware of the controller to 17.02 , I will loose the program , correct ? and all I need to do is reload it , correct. I am trying to work with Rockwell , to get the updates.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

The l32 e will work with get 17 but how are you going to get the updates from ver 20 to 17 ?

Yes you will lose the program when you flash the plc but what cards have you connected to the plc as some cards firwWare may not work with ver 17
It would be best the get all the card part numbers and firmware and look at the ab site as they have a very good matrix on this
Donnchadh

If you are still working with the integrator, ask him to supply the program in v17. Let him handle the details of switching versions. It's not an unusual request. This is the kind of detail I usually establish at the beginning of the project. The only real issue is if he has used newer features that are only available after v17, otherwise it should not be a big deal.

I have to support several plants with different versions, I'll be doing some v13 work soon. They will upgrade soon, but not for the immediate project.

I did download an update Version 21 , but it said Studio 5000 ( Formally RS Logix 5000 ) . is the higher version now part of Studio 5000 ? I still need to try it tomorrow , but when I open RS Logix 5000 I still see Version 17. I open Studio 5000 , and it looks like a different animal. I will try it tomorrow , and see what I can do with it. Thanks for your advice.

if you have got V21 (studio), you should be able to get V20 from the Rockwell site. There were a couple of version 20s, as I was working with an integrator when he came on site with a ControlLogix and I took on V20.03, but then had to backtrack to V20.01 as he had written the code in V20.01 and if I uploaded then it would have converted to V20.03.
Going forward, get the updates when they come and keep the older versions loaded for such occasions. We use V13 onward here and I do not want to upgrade firmware in case I/O cards etc work differently......

Make it easy and download the update that the project was designed with (you jumped ahead a little) and then you will not have to worry about card issues either.
Just rember the version has to match and not just 20 more like 20.03,20.01