Forum post re-written on Russian PLC forum

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
They do it differently in Russia . . .

My post on a Russian controls forum was changed. And I didn't do it.

No damage to me personally, but it shocked me to see that what I wrote is NOT what is now in the post.

Some weeks ago, I discovered a Russian PLC controls forum, **********. My Russian isn't good enough to participate on the Russian threads, but there are a number of English posts, particularly in the sensor group.

On the Sensors group there was a request for the latest version a manufacturer's configuration software. The software version in question is now publicly available software, formerly sold, but now distributed without restriction, and I have a copy.

I posted the 3rd post to the thread about 10 days ago, noting that the file was ~23 Mb in size and inquired as to whether the forum could host the file, because I couldn't find a means to upload the file to the site itself.

I'd been out of town in the interim, hadn't kept track of goings-on until last night when I read an email message informing me that I had a private message on that forum, which asked me to post the file to RapidShare, a temporary, free, public file hosting web service.

So, I uploaded the software and a patch file to Rapidshare and posted the 5th post on the thread with the links to Rapidshare. In that post, I also noted the restrictions of Rapidshare: a total of 10 downloads over 90 days.

I logged into the Russian site this morning and much to my surprise, the thread is now only 3 posts long, not the 5 posts from last night. My 10-day-ago post disappeared entirely and last night's post was entirely re-written. It now has a single rapidshare link (rather than my two links) AND a link to another file hosting site (a .ru domain) AND my note on RapidShare's limitations disappeared. Also, the title of the thread was changed, adding the later version number of the sofware.

I guess they do things differently in Russia. Admittedly, the thread is now 'cleaner', but it isn't what was posted historically. Rather than adding a post with a new link to the software on another file hosting site, mine post was entirely re-written.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has ever encountered the re-writing of forum posts?

Dan

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has ever encountered the re-writing of forum posts?
Yes, I have - on some Russian web forums of general nature. There are places (not all but cerainly some) where admins do not see it as a being a problem to edit or completely delete someone else's message, for a variety of reasons.

I would not always blame them: ceratin Russain laws can, in principle, make forum owners liable for the content of published messages (which is, of course, hardly applicable on a professional forum in your case). Some admins do it just because they can.

I think the best you can do is to post a brief message indicating that your previous messages were edited/removed and not to hang up on that. It is not uncommon for many Russian moderators to take a deliberately offensive tone when confronted. SInce they do have the magic button and you don't, arguing is futile.

Just read the rules on the forum you have mentioned.

http://**********/viewtopic.php?t=5669

Although it is in less than perfect English, it is quite clear. And quite interesting.

Administration reserves the right to correct your messages (text, links and images) without notice.

So there.

I think the best you can do is to post a brief message indicating that your previous messages were edited/removed and not to hang up on that.
I see no harm in what was done, and have no intention of pursuing it.

I was just so surprised to encounter the changes, because I'd never run into that before, beyond the removal of inappropriate posts.

Apparently, it's cultural.

Dan

Apparently, it's cultural.
Don't get me started... We here (I think I can claim 'we' and 'here' after having spent many years living in the country and thinking on these issues) generally tend to respect strangers unless we learn something bad about them. It ususally works the other way around out there: you are nothing and not worthy of respect unless and until we know something good about you.

you are nothing and not worthy of respect unless and until we know something good about you.

Thats too bad... you can find good and worthy in just about everyone and everything, if you know how to look at it or how to bring it out.

Not that I am better then anyone... but that must be a sad way of life

I read somewhere that on the Russian version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" when you ask the audience for help, they yell out the WRONG answers on purpose ...

I read somewhere that on the Russian version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" when you ask the audience for help, they yell out the WRONG answers on purpose ...

No. That's rather an urban legend... The only truth in this is that the show is still very popular in Russia. Kind of funny to see: the same music, the same studio setup - a different host and different language. The questions are different too: what would be hard for most Americans is generally easy out there and the other way around.

thanks for the correction ... here's another "I read somewhere" item ... any truth to this one? ...

when a Russian goes to a public restaurant (example: a cafeteria), it's considered good manners to take a seat at an already occupied table which has an empty chair - even if the people already at the table are complete strangers ...

so how long have you been "over here" anyway? ...

thanks for the correction ... here's another "I read somewhere" item ... any truth to this
Well, once again, this is only partly true. It used to be like that in the olden times, under Communist regime. Restaurants were very few and far between; most people may have attended one only a couple times in their life, for some important occasion (alumni conventions or celebrating a successful Ph.D.).

So the seating was scarce and no one objected if a couple of visitors was offered two seats at a four-seat table already occupied by another couple. Both were happy to get in anyway - just getting in was in itself an experience not ulike getting in into a hot club today - being on buddy terms or bribing the doorman and what not.

Now, of course, it is all different, restaurants are aplenty and actually quite good. No more different than attending a restaurant anywhere in the world.
so how long have you been "over here" anyway? ...
17 years...

I guess they do things differently in Russia.
Why would you post there at all?
That whole forum is nothing but illegal links to cracked software or questions on how to remove protection.

I remember in late 80s it was no legal software there at all.
I thought they changed rules now - I guess not.
20 years later mentality did not change.

hello every body
iam searchiung for a website plcnetru speacking about automation i used it but now idont find itplease help me