Logix Sequencing...

Slwagner73

Lifetime Supporting Member
Well Gentlemen, once again, I am trying to figure out how to do something in Logix, and I cannot seem to get it to work like all the YouTube videos.

I have a 5380 that I and trying to get to sequence the outputs, but after watching a handful of videos, I cannot replicate the Outputs.

Where everyone else is able to select the entire output card for the MOV part, I can only select one output, and I can't seem to create any sort of alias to get this to work.

Annotation 2020-08-04 190648.png

I must be missing something DUMB...

Most likely the videos you watched showed older I/O modules. Most older digital I/O modules contained a single INT or DINT, with each bit representing one input or output. So you could do a MOV exactly as you're trying to do above.

The new 5380 I/O modules have a completely different data structure. There's no longer a single INT/DINT that contains the whole I/O image for that card. Instead each input or output point is represented by an individual data structure, as you're seeing in your screenshot above.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure of any way to easily copy an INT or DINT into the output image of a 5380 output module. I'm sure it's doable (I give it less than four hours before drbitboy is here to provide a very lengthy, very eloquent post with what is probably quite a clever solution), but it's definitely not going to be as easy as "move my temporary INT into the output image INT".

So, I’m not 100 percent sure of this but figured I’d chime in anyway.

The Compact 5000IO has the data “packed” in a different way then the older model stuff, which I have seen what you are trying to do done in the past. I have never seen a MOV for all of the .Data points from a Compact 5000IO card done. Not saying it cannot be, I’m sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in here.

Not dumb, just new.

It looks like you're using a 5069 series CompactLogix, correct ?

Rockwell converted from a 32-bit .DATA tag in the venerable 1756 series digital I/O modules to an array of BOOL tags in the 5069 digital I/O modules.

The simplest way to handle it is to replace that MOV with a set of XIC / OTE pairs, or a subroutine that copies those bits one-by-one to their .Ptxx destination.

Ken:
Yes, it is a 5069-L306ERM, So, I tried this, is the the most efficient way to do it?
And also, should I be using the "Dest" (highlighted in green) as the XIC?
I think I get what your are trying to say, but maybe I'm still missing something.

Forget it, this doesn't work.....

Question 1.png

Last edited:
There's no longer a single INT/DINT that contains the whole I/O image for that card. Instead each input or output point is represented by an individual data structure,
I give it less than four hours before drbitboy ...

So they broke SQO. Huh. You're gorked.

Not exactly eloquent, but brevity is the soul ...

Slwagner73,

every programmer does things differently.
May I suggest the following.
1. what is it you are trying to accomplish?
you watched the videos, ok. videos are great, but leave out a lot of details. What are you trying to do?
2. write down what you are trying to do, step by step and in order.
rewrite / add to if necessary.
3. add the I/o.
4. now, you be the plc and use a piece of paper to indicate your I/o.
5. as you read the instructions, you are now the plc, does the instructions make since?

this may not make since now, but this is the way I have been programming for 25+ years
james

I believe that there is a routine on the Rockwell website that converts the new format to the old format.

I have seen it but have not looked for it in a while.

Alan

I think this is the solution; even if the specific routine referred to by Alan cannot be found, it's only 16 or 32 rungs that are off in a separate program block that are called with a JSR after the SQO. So its brute force does not hit the rest of the code with the ugly stick.

James:
I have an idea, or a plan if you would, but it won't work if I can't figure out how to make a sequence work.
In a nutshell, I am tasked with troubleshooting PLC's at my job, usually not a big deal, seeing as 97 out a 100 times, it's downstream hardware that is the issue. However, sometimes, and I mean rarely, it is something in the program that is hanging up the operation. And just recently, it was a sequencer that wasn't progressing, so, I reset it to zero, and the process took off.
But this got me to thinking, just how does a sequencer work.
I have six ASCO valves, and I want to set up a sequence to turn them on to water the wifes garden.
Seems simple and silly, but I learn more about programming by playing with the software, "if I can do it, I can troubleshoot it".
The lines of code I show in the first post are just to get the sequence working, then I plan to put a GSV in front of it, on at nine, off at ten pm., with each of the valves turning on for a set period, then sequence to the next, so on and so forth.
And yes, I could do this with a GSV, a timer, and a counter to drive the OTE's, but I can do that already.
This for me is a learning process. I can make it work with a MicroLogix1400, but I am trying to update to the higher functioning PLC's.
So, to sum up, I am just trying to understand how to make this work, then I'll use it.

Scott

Slwagner73,

good to hear that you can do it in a micrologix and are trying to do it with a 5000. I was in a rush when I posted and didn't want to be late for my meeting. I do apologize if I offended you.
james