Job Qualifications

i think the common line is "Must have experience with the Big Four... Rockwell, Schneider, Siemens, insert other brand here". Often also want a registered electrician and a software expert in one.

I think cjd1965 hit the nail on the head. They surely know that an interested applicant having the entire spectrum of fluency is highly unlikely. Sure, they have likes, but I wouldn't consider them absolute prerequisites. Let them know what you can do. They will decide to interview based on their best impression. IMO.

Maybe job postings like that are the root cause of the chronic complaint that "we can't find any qualified workers".

That will work for low salary. I also remember recent posts where they also wanted the 'succesful' candidate to be the janitor and general undesirable duties

If they're paying me an appropriate rate for my top skill set and they choose to use me to sweep the floor I'll do it.

Never take a salary job.

As for the "can't find qualified workers" is just a ruse to get visas and then they can make that person do all kinds of **** work.

Oh you wont do this? Well, I guess I'll cancel your visa and you'll be here illegally or sent back to your country.

Steve Bailey,

"Maybe job postings like that are the root cause of the chronic complaint that "we can't find any qualified workers"."

i think you are right !
i've taken a contractor job in Huntsville, Ala. that if things work out can last 10 years.
thanks for all the replies,
james

By the look of photos on goggle Huntsville looks very pretty, best of luck in your new position.
So 61 and your salary requirements didn't put them off, why do you think they were different than some of the other employers?
Do you have to travel far for work?

Last edited:
About 14 months ago i visited huntsville 3 times for a few small integrations. Nice place to visit, we ate some crawfish and visited the space center.

Althought the facility i was in was not temperature controlled and it was hot that time of the year.

Steve Bailey,

"Maybe job postings like that are the root cause of the chronic complaint that "we can't find any qualified workers"."

i think you are right !
i've taken a contractor job in Huntsville, Ala. that if things work out can last 10 years.
thanks for all the replies,
james

congrats

If they're paying me an appropriate rate for my top skill set and they choose to use me to sweep the floor I'll do it.

I remember working at a company in the bay area, the bathroom flooded so my boss and myself grabbed a couple mops and started helping.... the plant manager walked by and said "the two highest paid janitors in California right here" then rolled his eyes and keep walking, do what you gotta do.

A friend of mine used to say that in order to stay on certain job there is 2oo3 voting
1. The payment
2. Liking what you are doing
3. The colleagues

So if you have 2 or more of these, usually you stay, if less, you "trip".

I remember working at a company in the bay area, the bathroom flooded so my boss and myself grabbed a couple mops and started helping.... the plant manager walked by and said "the two highest paid janitors in California right here" then rolled his eyes and keep walking, do what you gotta do.

That might work if you aren't on contract because when it comes time to pay, "I'm not paying for these 2 guys to mop up water". Is what they'll come back with when the bill is "too high".

I never had issue with contracts but I know some of my colleagues in the past did, so they implemented all billable hours you had to sit at the site. Even if you sit and do nothing waiting for the site to be ready, like the kind of ready they were before you got on a plane. (I left that company for all kinds of reasons, but that was one of the more annoying that was pushed.)