No MAC address (relation) from BOOT P

Hi, and thanks for your reply.
I'm not going through a switch at the moment, so that's not it. I feel good about the cables as you've mentioned.
I get the USB driver that you mentioned however the module shows as an unrecognized device. I believe as I replied to someone below, that I will have to get EDS files from Rockwell, along with upgrading Linx as you pointed out. I have V. 32.01 now and this is what I ended up loading in this project, as the L73S only offered that version of firmware. So maybe Linx is already up to date, I'll see.
Since this is a stand-alone system, no plant connection, no FIS, no nothing, I could easily use the rotary switches. I may just use all this knowledge from you guys to configure a new EN2T in the main plant. We're undergoing a re-tool, and I'll have plenty of opportunities. Thank you.

Setting an IP Address on the EN2T by any means mentioned will not resolve the issue that RSLinx doesn't recognise it.

For that to be resolved you have to install the EDS file using the proper installation wizard.

The EN2T will be new enough for you to be able to get the EDS file from the device itself. Simply right-click it in RSLinx, and choose "Upload EDS File from Device". This will get the EDS file AND launch the EDS file installation wizard. Just follow the prompts and it all happens very smoothly.

Once the EDS is installed, RSLinx should recognise it.

Setting an IP Address on the EN2T by any means mentioned will not resolve the issue that RSLinx doesn't recognise it.

For that to be resolved you have to install the EDS file using the proper installation wizard.

The EN2T will be new enough for you to be able to get the EDS file from the device itself. Simply right-click it in RSLinx, and choose "Upload EDS File from Device". This will get the EDS file AND launch the EDS file installation wizard. Just follow the prompts and it all happens very smoothly.

Once the EDS is installed, RSLinx should recognise it.

Thanks. I'll try that today. No power out there now. Apparently they've got the plant WiFi up out here so I can do more research if needed and go on the forum to thank all of you for your responses. Have a great rest of your week and I'll let you know what happened.

Phil
Hi, and thank you. I'm going to get with the plant IT people and see if they'll let me use a third party software tool such as this. Several have replied that use applications other than BootP and have had much better results.
I sure would like to take a few of your classes and fill in some gaps I have. Thanks again.

Phil
Hi, and thank you. I'm going to get with the plant IT people and see if they'll let me use a third party software tool such as this. Several have replied that use applications other than BootP and have had much better results.
I sure would like to take a few of your classes and fill in some gaps I have. Thanks again.

I would suggest you give BOOTP the boot.

An alternative to OG's suggestion to use the USB port on the EN2T module, is to plug it into a spare slot in a chassis you already can connect to, via another module. You don't have to connect to it via the Ethernet port at all.

Then simply use RSLinx to browse to it across the backplane, and set your Ethernet port settings from there.

Just remember to disable BOOTP by clicking the radio button "Static", or it will revert to "Dynamic" using either DHCP or BOOTP on the next power-cycle !

And it is a good idea to have the "Auto-negotiate port speed and duplex" enabled.

2020-09-25_125656.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest you give BOOTP the boot.

An alternative to OG's suggestion to use the USB port on the EN2T module, is to plug it into a spare slot in a chassis you already can connect to, via another module. You don't have to connect to it via the Ethernet port at all.

Then simply use RSLinx to browse to it across the backplane, and set your Ethernet port settings from there.

Just remember to disable BOOTP by clicking the radio button "Static", or it will revert to "Dynamic" using either DHCP or BOOTP on the next power-cycle !

And it is a good idea to have the "Auto-negotiate port speed and duplex" enabled.

Daba
Hi, and thanks for the screenshots. I have now gotten a lot of good advice, probably tied for first place is give BootP the boot. I'm going to try this, I have a lot of spare slots. Thanks for your response.

Daba
Hi, and thanks for the screenshots. I have now gotten a lot of good advice, probably tied for first place is give BootP the boot. I'm going to try this, I have a lot of spare slots. Thanks for your response.

Like daba I avoid BootP every chance I get. I normally just connect to the serail port of the processor be it standard serial or USB and drill down to the comms module and setup the needed parameters.

As previously discussed you can also connect directly to the communications card if it hads that feature.

For cases wher the serial port is used for another purpose I always keep a ENBT card that is configured to 10.10.10.100 (can be any range) and it's labeled with the IP address and I just install it in the controllogix chassis and connect and do the work i need to do including setting up parameters on other communications cards.