PLC vs RTU vs Microcontroller

cattec

Hi All,

Have been out of the automation space for ~10 years and things have changed a lot! Would love a community recommendation on the best way to proceed with a simple application, I've been going around in circles in a research rabbit hole.

I need to install a device in field that will:
- read energy usage data over Modbus TCP or RS485
- Push data via 3G/4G to a server I can host remotely (will need to set this up too)
- use a couple of simple logic statements based on this data to have the controller send a digital output to a secondary system (someone else can worry about it from there)

Programming skills are very rusty so anything with a simple interface would be amazing. At this stage it's only looking like a once off pilot which is why we aren't wanting to over invest.

For those interested I do a lot of economic optimisiation around energy however this is the first time we are looking at bridging the commercial models with the physical world. I've got a proof of concept going with a Arduino Microcontroller and a embedded PC however would be more comfortable deploying a RTU or PLC to an industrial site.

Thanks!

Have a look at Red Lion's new FlexEdge device. I don't recall the particulars on Modbus/TCP, but I'm sure one of the many reps will be more than willing to help you out.

- Push data via 3G/4G to a server I can host remotely (will need to set this up too)
What mechanism do you intend to use ? I think MQTT, but you may have something particular in mind.

I think that this is a job for an all-in-one unit, i.e. an RTU.
Or it could be pieced together with a small PLC plus a 3G/4G router.

That looks great thanks, seems to be only one supplier in Australia but will try to get one.

The official distributor is Control Logic here in QLD. I had a sit down with them last week when they introduced this product. It's not quite relevant for what I do, but I thought it had some nice features.

Have a chat with Martin Daines and he will be able to help you out with any info. They did mention having access to a demo unit, so you may be in luck.

Last edited: