Python & RSLogix 500 (Micrologix 1400)

Tremaino

Hi there,

I've managed to get Python to talk to my Micrologix 1400 using Pycomm. (Using read & write commands). My question is, is it possible to write actual PLC code to the PLC using ASCII or other ways. i.e XIC B3:0/3 XIC B3:0/4 OTE O:0/4??

I've seen examples from https://github.com/ruscito/pycomm but wanted to know if the above is possible.

If anyone has any other code examples with Python and SLC500 / Micrologix PLC's, then that would be greatly appreciated if they could reply to this post.

Many thanks!

I'd be fairly surprised if anything other than logix 500 could create new logic and insert it for compiling. I think it's a fairly closely held company secret, the programming language/protocols.

Sure if you do years of reverse engineering.

What you can do is generate a SLC file with python and then import it to RS 500 and "Download" it to the controller.

it's not great but it works.

I have some C# code that does this.

My question is, is it possible to write actual PLC code to the PLC using ASCII or other ways. i.e XIC B3:0/3 XIC B3:0/4 OTE O:0/4??
The problem is that RSLogix 500 doesn't download the text you enter. It gets compiled to some form that the ML 1400 can execute. Converting python, or even the text you show, to code the ML1400 can execute would be a super big challenge.

I would stick to view and changing variables or maybe bits that can activate or deactivate desired rungs.