FactoryTalk View SE data logging problems

yrret0715

Hi all,

I am a total beginner struggling to make modifications to other people's work, please forgive me if I could not describe my problem properly.

I have a FactoryTalk Historian running but just run out of available tags, so I would like to try logging through FactoryTalk View Studio - View Site Edition (Network Distributed). The ultimate goal is to have a time based data log in a excel sheet (first row = tag names, first column = time stamps) I tried following different documents and forum threads but ran into problems for all of them.

======
1. I tried following these:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=64250
http://www.scribd.com/doc/212048625/VIZ07-FactoryTalk-View-SE-Lab-Manual#scribd (starting p98)

FT Administration Console->Tool->FT Diagnostics->Setup->Destination Setup->ODBC Database
(a) For data source, I tried both File Data Source and System Data Source
How do I determine which one I should use? No of these combined with the later options worked for me.
(b) For Driver, I tried Driver do Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls), Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xlsb), and Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt, *.csv)
Since I don't have any idea what the Target Table should look like in each case, so I tried a little bit of everything.
For the first three drivers, I tried creating an excel sheet but ran into errors later in Data Log Models in FT View Studio as described in the thread of the first link (Column#n invalid)
For the last one, I tried following the thread but failed to understand what are the exact steps.

Despite the problems above, when I tried to open the component under Data Log Models, nothing but an error message popped up:
FactoryTalk View Datalog Editor
The server 'test' in area 'RNA://$Global/test' is out of service

I thought the problem was similar to the one described in the follow thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=67424

I followed everything and rebooted the software and the computer a few time, but it did not work.

===========

I have run out of ideas now, and any related input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for going through such a long post!

Huge thanks to seth350! The info totally saved my day.

I have a more updated version of FT View SE so a lot of the display tricks could be skipped.

The method worked almost perfectly for me except that the logging stops when I open the log file by Excel and resumes when I close it. I will keep trying to solve it, but any suggestion on avoiding the stoppage will be awesome. Thanks again everyone!

Try this, it may not work for what you are wanting but it does offer datalogging to an excel .csv file that can either be local on the panelview, usb thumbdrive, or network drive.

http://theautomationblog.com/datastore-plus-step-by-step-setup-in-factorytalk-viewstudio/

Last edited:
When you need to open the file for viewing, copy the "logged-to" file and paste it somewhere else and then open the copied file.

I'm glad I could help you. 🍻
I use this same method for recording measurements in our waste water facility.