E300 Overloads Control Wiring

rajy2r

I have been working on more and more systems with E300 electronic overloads as a requirement.

I know ENET technology has come a long way, but as a safety reservation, i have always allowed a Physical PLC Output as an Enabel for each starter.

I was wondering what others take on this is or how have you addressed this. There is system ESTOP obviously, but this is something i have always done.

Would appreciate some feedback.

Physical PLC output could fail just as easily as a command over ENET and the Physical output is actually more likely to fail of the two.

Your safety system should be the area of concern and make sure it's up to the task to catch any equipment failures and put the system in a safe state.

Never used one. Is the big selling point an ability to remotely monitor current and reset if it trips, or is there more to it? And you still need a DO to fire the starter, right?

A quick price check from our vendor shows that contactor+E300 overload is very close to an ENet VFD.

Last edited:
Physical PLC output could fail just as easily as a command over ENET and the Physical output is actually more likely to fail of the two.

Your safety system should be the area of concern and make sure it's up to the task to catch any equipment failures and put the system in a safe state.

Maybe i wasn't clear in my system, but its not a safety system, but the ability to shut it off if something goes sideways. When i talk about fail, i mean fail closed to prevent the ability to stop it.

Never used one. Is the big selling point an ability to remotely monitor current and reset if it trips, or is there more to it? And you still need a DO to fire the starter, right?

A quick price check from our vendor shows that contactor+E300 overload is very close to an ENet VFD.

The E300 can be used to monitor the amps and start/stop the motor along with monitor all status. You don't need any physical inputs/outputs depending on how you configure it.

Not sure what VFD you are comparing it to, but the costs shouldn't be that much. It is sure an extra ~60% of the starter cost, but eliminated field wiring and PLC IO.

So in your scheme of always using a PLC Output to enable a starter “as a safety reservation”, is that hard output required to be only in the main rack with the CPU? If not, then what’s the difference between a network enabled smart OL relay as the control device and a network enabled remote PLC I/O rack or device?

Last edited:
So in your scheme of always using a PLC Output to enable a starter “as a safety reservation”, is that hard output required to be only in the main rack with the CPU? If not, then what’s the difference between a network enabled smart OL relay as the control device and a network enabled remote PLC I/O rack or device?

Good point. Though probably a lot more tedious to supply each E300 with MCR power or break its signal to the starter vs. using a multi-channel DO card. And doing so kind of eliminates most of the wiring advantage of the E300, no?

Last edited: