Siemens CPU-1515 & S120 CU320 Channel Errors

jacoffey85

My company is commissioning a new machine and we're having a few issues with I/O Channel errors. My Italian colleague took a screen shot for me to show me what it's doing.

Setup:
PLC - CPU-1515F-2 PN
Drives - S120 CU320-2 PN
- Smart Line Module (project says ALM, but is actually SLM)
- 4x Single Motor Modules

Here's the catch, the I/O channel errors only show up on the CPU side, there are no active faults on the CU320. The channels that pop up for the error (2, 6, 10, 8 in the screen shot) are not always the same. The errors don't affect functionality at all, only shows a SF on the CPU. The errors pop up as soon as we power on the panel and we aren't able to Acknowledge them. The bottom 5 alarms (ModuleAccessPoint faults) come on with the CU320 and 24v being powered on, it seems like the I/O Channel alarms come on once the MCC is pulled in (hence the 30min time difference between alarms)

What I've done to try to resolve:
1. Double check topology
2. Double check safety I/O addresses
3. Double check safety telegram and F-Addresses
4. Tried a few different ways for "ACK_GLOBAL" to work

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Just in case the attachment isn't showing up:

https://i.imgur.com/rfQWMxQ.png

What type of safety config have you set for the CU320 motor modules - basic or extended?

For this one we're using extended. On the other machines inline (separate PLC & CU320) they're in basic mode, and we don't have this problem.

We do have logic entered, but what I just noticed is that ours is set to execute test stop during ramp up, at least in the offline version. Would this affect anything?

teststop.png

The test stop from ramp up (power on) will work provided STO is true (i.e STO is not active). On my implementation STO is active on power up so I couldn't use the automatic option.

Last edited:
The test stop from ramp up (power on) will work provided STO is true (i.e STO is not active). On my implementation STO is active on power up so I couldn't use the automatic option.

Hmm, that could explain why the channels are random for the faults. I’ll inform my colleague to try to disable the test stop at ramp up and report the results so if someone else has this problem in the future.