Moving Rockwell license

Jim G.

I just got a new Windows 10 laptop to use at one of our facilities. I need to move my RS5000 software to this new computer from my Windows 7. Will this software transfer with the older versions intact? (Ver19 and Ver20)
Will it allow me to install newer Studio 5000 versions to run in this laptop as well?
I apologize for my ignorance on this. I'm sure this question has been answered numerous times already on this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Generally, yes. Re-hosting the license may (in my experience always does) require reaching out to AB tech support for activations (free, doesn't require support contract). What I do is have the license hosted to my laptop and have Activation Manager inside each virtual machine reach out to the host for the license. I remember having to jump through some hoops with AB support, but my current license (purchased early 2020) will work to activate from v10 up to v34 with no issues. All of those versions won't install in the same VM, of course, but they can all work with the same license on the host.

Rehosting typically doesn't need to contact support. That's assuming you are running activation manager.

On old laptop, connect to internet then fire up Activation Manager to rehost the licenses. This send the license back into the "cloud".

On new laptop, connect to internet then activate the license.

You will need the serial # and the activation code which should came in the original box. If you only have the serial # (which you can find under Help - About) then you can call Rockwell Support and they can verify who you are and reset the license for you.

Maybe,
the older everis protection system was still being used at that time and was being phased out.
you need to find out which version you have.
also, when installing your 5000 software, ver 19 and 20 may have a problem with windows 10. check with tech support and discuss the situation.
james

Rehosting typically doesn't need to contact support. That's assuming you are running activation manager.

You're right that it's not supposed to...but every time in the last 5-8 years or so that I've tried it, it didn't work and I needed to contact them. They were very fast to sort it out, though. You can even use their chat support for activations and be up and running quick if it comes to that.

I know you have to be careful when using the old transfer systems, it is some years ago now, but like I have done a number of times put the activation onto either the master disk or USB, no problems but one time (I think it was on disk) got the wrong ev sys & it saw it, when I did the move it came up with an error no activation but deleted it off the disk As I say cannot remember if it was USB or master disk & the move sys I used but rather than not moving it, it deleted it, what a pain to get it sorted with RW.

Try starting a chat session. That should be a good deal quicker, plus you don't have to sit around with a phone glued to your ear. I'm a Rockwell Software engineer and have only had issue twice using the activation manager and activation web site, and those were flukes. Use activation manager or activation website to rehost, create a host id file using activation manager on your destination computer, re download the activation and associate it with the host id file you just created, and move the lic file to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell Automation\Activations.