Temperature control using pump speed.

DUNK

I am at a loss...
I have a pasteurizing system that i need to control product temperature with the speed of the product pump. I currently have a compact logix PLC, PF525 vfd, and a temperature sensor checking the product temperature. I have tried a PID, but the pump wants to speed up to get up to temp. I need the pump to slow down so that stays in the heat exchanger longer so then the product will heat up.

Any suggestions on how i can make the pump slow down automatically? Is a PID the best solution?

All help is much appreciated!!

htst.png

The timing pump is usually a positive displacement pump. It is designed to provide a constant flow through the hold tube. The length of the hold tube determines the time the product stays at the pasteurization temperature.
The temperature of the hot water at the heating heat exchanger raises and maintains the product temperature to the correct pasteurization temperature.

If you do not understand how the pasteurization process works, you should probably just stop messing around before you kill someone.

View attachment 63231

The timing pump is usually a positive displacement pump. It is designed to provide a constant flow through the hold tube. The length of the hold tube determines the time the product stays at the pasteurization temperature.
The temperature of the hot water at the heating heat exchanger raises and maintains the product temperature to the correct pasteurization temperature.

If you do not understand how the pasteurization process works, you should probably just stop messing around before you kill someone.

This is a test to see if this improves the process of a new install. The gentleman that designed this system has been in the business probably longer than you and me both. I assure you we aren't going to kill anyone. (y)

DUNK, if you're using a HTST pasteurizer like the one in TWS's picture, you may also consider controlling your heating media temperature in order to maintain a more consistent product flow rate. Depending on what you're pasteurizing, that consistency can make a difference elsewhere.

Both the heater (hot water) and cooler (usually glycol) heat exchangers should have PID temperature control for consistency.
There are some HTST pasteurizers that use a variable speed centrifugal pump but require an accurate flowmeter on the product line. (another PID loop).

View attachment 63231

I didnt realize you attached a diagram. This is pretty similar to what we have.