Configure 1734-AENTR Module

OP of this older thread had version 3.10. Nowadays with firmware 5.015 or later, you can also set the 1734-AENT(R) chassis size using the thumbwheel switches. With power off, set to 8xx where xx is the chassis size. For example, set to 802 if there's only the adapter and one module. Power on and wait a minute or two. Provided everything works, when the point bus status light (bottom left) turns green, the chassis size is set. Power down and set the switches to IP octet or 999 or whatever and power back up.

Switch settings:
000 to 254 is the valid IP range (192.168.1.xxx) - only useful if you’re using 1 for third octet

801 to 864 is the valid chassis size range, although I don’t see how a chassis size of 1 would be useful having the adapter with no I/O.

888 factory resets the module. More details in the manual.

Any other number uses DHCP or programmatically set IP. Usually that’s set to 999 but it technically doesn’t have to be.

Last edited:
It looks like the error code is 16#0010, which is a "module is in the incorrect state" error.

This always results from the Chassis Size not being correctly applied.

Try the web interface method: log into the 1734-AETR's webpage (using admin/password), and click on Configuration.

Set the chassis size to "2", for the AENT and the one expansion module.

10 years later and you just helped me solve my problem first try, thanks man:)

Same problem here, the way I solved (thanks to all the comments above) was getting online then in 1734-aentr property/Chassis size/ chassis size from general tab/set chassis size in module then go back to general tab module definition/ change and add to the proper chassis size. I got version 6.12 C.

Same problem here, the way I solved (thanks to all the comments above) was getting online then in 1734-aentr property/Chassis size/ chassis size from general tab/set chassis size in module then go back to general tab module definition/ change and add to the proper chassis size. I got version 6.12 C.

I dont know if part of the problem was the firmware in my pc (5) and the actual module 6.

Just had a need for this. Couldn't get on the v19 logix l-71s
Set the IP with bootp
Found this to set the chassis size

You guys are the best here. All the good stuff is only found here. AB manuals are not always accurate.