PV Standard 2711-K9A8 FW issue

ThomasGruetter

Lifetime Supporting Member
We bought a use PV as a backup. Our PV's in use have Fw3.30 and the spare has 3.13. Thought we could upgrade the FW to 3.30 to have better compatibility.
While using the Upgrade utility we realized that it only version 4.xx was available. We gave it a try thinking that we could standardize on 4.xxn
The FW upgrade did not work - now our spare has a corrupt system. It was self checking then showing an error 74.
On subsequent trials it does no longer self check - just shows:
Verification/ Autotest
Error! Fehler! etc.
What options do I have to correct this? I think the PB 3.20 and 3.40 have the older FW. However I need to find out how to get into the configuration menu again.
We downloaded via RS232 - what options do we have using a CF card?

Error 40 means "No executable code to run after boot". According to the knowledgebase, (Access Level: TechConnect), that means it doesn't have firmwarehttps://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/13469/loc/en_US#__highlight

It then refers you to the PVFIRMWARE folder of the PanelBuilder 32 installation files for the firmware files and instructions. Are those instructions helpful at this point?

Error 74 doesn't show up in the user manual but there is a tech note for it (Access Level: TechConnect):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/31371/loc/en_US#__highlight

It basically says that firmware v4.xx won't work in a panel with boot code less than 1.06. Unfortunately, it also says that the solution is to send it in for repair.

I wish I had better news...

Hello all,
Have not had any luck finding a Panelbuilder 32 with version 3.20 or 3.40 CD - I think also version 3.80 might work. I need a firmware file that is 4.20 or below to see if I can get this Panelview 900 back alive. I made a test with the CF card, firmware file 4.41 (which I have) and it gave me a new error 25 (incompatible file ?) Before that I had error 40.
Any ideas where to find older versions of Panelbuilder 32?

I found an old CD Panelbuilder 32 v 3.80 and I am in the process of copying the firmware folder to a compressed folder on a Google drive. If you know the exact file you need, I can probably attach it here, otherwise, I'll have to figure out how to share a google drive folder with you.

EDIT: looks like all I need is an email address in order to share that zipped folder with you. PM me and tomorrow I should be able to make it happen.

Last edited:
Hello OkiePC,
Sent you a private message - but for anyone interested...
The file I have is file name m90kdhp.fmv. It is located in folder PV_Terminal_FW/FW_Card/K9A8.
This is the file for version FW ver. 4.41 - assume your CD has the same file name but older FW version on it.

From the path:
D:\PVFirmware\PV_Terminal_FW\FW_Card\K9A8
attached file (zipped)

The "Date Modified" property is 5/4/2001

So hopefully it works for you!

I quickly tried before heading out. I could not transfer the new file onto the CF card with the FW utility so I copied it onto the card. It resulted in the same error. Not sure if it is because of the version or improperly writing onto the CF card...?

Not sure what to try next.

There is a firmware update utility on the disc, but I don't suppose it's required to update the PV from a memory card.

Are you sure the card is formatted FAT16 and compatible with the PV? I have had issues when using Windows to format cards used by HMIs in the past and always try to let the HMI format the card first and skip any warnings in Windows that prompt me to let it "fix" the file system.

I was using a 1GB card with a clean transfer from the utility --> error 25.
So not sure if an older firmware is needed or there's an issue with the CF card format. I will try with another CF card that was formatted by a PV.
Just wonder if there are any older Panelbuilder 32 versions around?

The readme file instructions in the firmware folder say that you just need to copy the fmw file to the memory card.

Here's a quote
Step 2:

Copy the *.fmw file to your memory card via your memory card reader/programmer.

NOTE:
If the PanelView Terminal being upgraded is running boot code version 1.02 or prior, a Flash memory card must be utilized for the PanelView Terminal firmware upgrade. (Communication card firmware upgrades are independent of this requirement.)

If the PanelView Terminal being upgraded is running boot code version 1.04 or later, either a Flash or ATA memory card can be utilized for the PanelView Terminal firmware upgrade. (Communication card firmware upgrades are independent of this requirement.)

Step 3:

CAUTION:
Upgrading the PanelView Terminal's firmware will result in the erasure of the PanelView runtime application. Before upgrading the PanelView Terminal's firmware be sure to save the application that resides in the PanelView Terminal via the PanelBuilder32 or WinPFT Upload functionality or ensure that a copy of the application (*.PVA file) resides on a local hard drive.

NOTE:
When downloading firmware to a DH485 terminal, it is recommend that the terminal be taken off-line (disconnected from the network) before the firmware download begins.

Insert programmed memory card into the memory card slot on the backside of the PanelView Terminal. Reset the PanelView Terminal with the Memory Card installed. The PanelView Terminal will load new firmware off of the installed memory card during boot up.

Once Firmware is installed (updated) and the terminal has re-booted and displays the Configuration screen, select the Memory Card menu option on the PanelView Terminal's Configuration screen, select the Disconnect Card option and remove memory card.

Success!!!!
I went to the customer and used one of their CF cards that we had formatted earlier on one of their working PV'.s. Copied over the firmware file from OkiePC and installed it in the PV with error 25. Started right up! Glad for the support I got from OkiePC (thank you for your efforts) and others on this forum. So it is very important to have the CF card properly formatted. I tried to do this from my PC but it only worked using the format feature on a PV.