somehow OT: screwdriving analysis

sczot

Hello everyone,
we're trying to get some information from our screwdrivers.

- The control chain is IqR plc with RD77MS16, connected to MR-J4 and mitsu servo
- The screws are fed from an automatic feeder via a compressed air driven air tube.

The aim is to detect as many problems as possible using the data provided by the MR-J4.

Currently, we only check that the set torque has been achieved.
We hope to be able to detect if a screw was screwed in at the wrong angle, if the screwdriving started without the screw (we have detection when the screw leaves the feeder and reaches a position close to the screwdriver, sometimes we lose a screw because of the mechanical solution used, of course no one wants to invest more in hardware and mechanical parts).

I have a few ideas on how to use some of the information to my advantage, but I want to ask if anyone has any experience with a similar application, what I should look out for, any literature on the subject (maybe even articles on the internet or something similar), any advice that will keep me from going nowhere will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have used Deprag automatic screwdriver systems with feeders.

Lack of screw can be detected by torque(lack of it) or exceeded number of turns without achieving the set torque. Adding a sensor at the screwdriver tip would be the best option, but even then something the screws fly off.

You might be also able to infer that the screw was crocked, since it will hit set torque before hitting the expected minimum number of turns.

Basically you want to set a min/max torque that should be inside a min/max number of turns, then if you get outside the range of torque or turns you can infer that you have no screw(or you missed the position, or the hole is out of spec).