Arduino PLC IDE Released

Oh dear god it is LEGIT.

I’m pasting my reply from somewhere else:

“It’s pretty much got any AutomationDirect software beat out of the gate.

In terms of types alone: Global variable groups, enumerations, interfaces, macros(!), structs/UDTs, sub ranges, typedefs.

And FOLDERS for whatever you want! Function blocks, a struct, and a macro in a folder? Hell yeah why not.

Studio 5000 doesn’t hold a candle. Okay maybe in its ladder editor, but I haven’t made it far enough to compare…“

Oh dear god it is LEGIT.

I’m pasting my reply from somewhere else:

“It’s pretty much got any AutomationDirect software beat out of the gate.

In terms of types alone: Global variable groups, enumerations, interfaces, macros(!), structs/UDTs, sub ranges, typedefs.

And FOLDERS for whatever you want! Function blocks, a struct, and a macro in a folder? Hell yeah why not.

Studio 5000 doesn’t hold a candle. Okay maybe in its ladder editor, but I haven’t made it far enough to compare…“

Agreed, it appears to have AD beat for sure. But then again, everything out there has that junk beat.

I'm recognizing a lot of similarities to CodeSys, which is great in my opinion. The AB fans won't like that though - it doesn't look or feel like Logix 5000 :ROFLMAO: I wonder if this will be the start of Arduino getting in the Industrial PLC market? That would be cool. Competition is always a good thing.

Is there a way to simulate? I see there is an option for it, but selecting it just tells me "Unable to run simulation"

Last edited:
Just had a look - pretty clunky and not a lot of functions. I guess it will get better.

This is definitely an attractive offer for testing and hobby applications.
But no where do i see software support. That is a must for professional use.

Perhaps they will go the codesys route and offer hourly payed support.

Just had a look - pretty clunky and not a lot of functions. I guess it will get better.
It implements all of the base IEC61131-3 stuff and provides library import/export support and pretty much anything to build or port your own with.
Never did to most automation companies.
They've got FT Design Studio on the way, claiming to support "modern software design". When they mentioned that it uses FT Smart Objects to produce a controller file to push out (.ACD ?), I got skeptical.

Here's to hoping...
I haven't had a chance to test it out, but does it have the ability for you to create your logic in C/C++ and then call that logic from whatever IEC editor they have?
Yes.

There's a section under the Resources tab of the Resources pane where you can write the classic Arduino sketch and it has the ability to read/write data of the PLC runtime.
This is definitely an attractive offer for testing and hobby applications.
But no where do i see software support. That is a must for professional use.

Perhaps they will go the codesys route and offer hourly payed support.
They've got more hardware on the way. I could see paid support. The environment is similar to Codesys. With more powerful options on this platform than Studio5K, there's definitely a steeper curve involved.

Some of my own AOIs were straightforward 1:1 ports but the added ability for interfaces and inheritance are already making me re-think the approaches Studio5K forced me into. The scaling AOI I use is now just a simple function in ArduinoPLC as well. No need to instantiate the thing.

The target hardware is about the best starting point from a performance point of view, using the Cortex M7 + M4 MCU model. I am interested in if/when the IDE task model can be set up to target specific CPUs. Asynchronous comms/IO on the M4 and application code on the M7 would be sweeeeet. ModbusRTU and ModbusTCP client/server are already baked in. If I find an SDK/documentation, implementing an Ethernet/IP scanner/adapter will be my new project. The upcoming Opta (Finder internals) and existing Portenta MC have their place and in my opinion the sky is the limit if these operate as networked controllers.

As with anything built anywhere: test, test, test, and test some more.

Last edited:
Very interesting.
A runtime license is 16 €. That is very reasonable, and I prefer a reasonable license over free, since it establishes a vendor/customer relationship.

I am more concerned that the hardware is so limited, with only a few IO and not expandable.

Very interesting.
A runtime license is 16 €. That is very reasonable, and I prefer a reasonable license over free, since it establishes a vendor/customer relationship.

I am more concerned that the hardware is so limited, with only a few IO and not expandable.

Fully agreed on pricing. $17.60 for development in this business is pocket change.

AD's Stride I/O are directly usable over ModbusTCP with these v1 units/IDE.

Last edited:
The level of library development specification, structure, and encapsulation provided is gold.

Example stuff I threw together.

Capture.PNG

The converse approach with current Arduino PLC hardware is that they can exist as fully programmable field I/O with comm fail/fault code to fall back on for another controller, such as a Logix processor rolling MBTCP clients onboard. Sky's the limit.

Last edited:
It implements all of the base IEC61131-3 stuff and provides library import/export support and pretty much anything to build or port your own with.

They've got FT Design Studio on the way, claiming to support "modern software design". When they mentioned that it uses FT Smart Objects to produce a controller file to push out (.ACD ?), I got skeptical.

Here's to hoping...

Yes.

There's a section under the Resources tab of the Resources pane where you can write the classic Arduino sketch and it has the ability to read/write data of the PLC runtime.

They've got more hardware on the way. I could see paid support. The environment is similar to Codesys. With more powerful options on this platform than Studio5K, there's definitely a steeper curve involved.

Some of my own AOIs were straightforward 1:1 ports but the added ability for interfaces and inheritance are already making me re-think the approaches Studio5K forced me into. The scaling AOI I use is now just a simple function in ArduinoPLC as well. No need to instantiate the thing.

The target hardware is about the best starting point from a performance point of view, using the Cortex M7 + M4 MCU model. I am interested in if/when the IDE task model can be set up to target specific CPUs. Asynchronous comms/IO on the M4 and application code on the M7 would be sweeeeet. ModbusRTU and ModbusTCP client/server are already baked in. If I find an SDK/documentation, implementing an Ethernet/IP scanner/adapter will be my new project. The upcoming Opta (Finder internals) and existing Portenta MC have their place and in my opinion the sky is the limit if these operate as networked controllers.

As with anything built anywhere: test, test, test, and test some more.

You can do all of these things and more in Beckhoff's TwinCAT 3. It's just one reason why I've been such a staunch supporter of that particular platform, with their huge portfolio of high performance hardware being the other. It's nice to see Arduino with an IDE that is following that model with at least some of the same features. They need the hardware now to follow suit. I did find an EtherCAT shield available from 3rd party. :p

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthu...thercat-arduino-shield-by-esmacat-ease-5f93ef

Last edited:
Just a heads-up:
https://www.esmacat.com/
Discontinuation of the Esmacat Product Line
We thank you all so much for your continued support over the past few years. As we focus our efforts on other projects, we hope you all continue to find creative ways to use our Esmacat products. We wish you all the best of luck in your future projects!
:confused: