Mass copy paste of descriptions

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to know if anyone has a quick way to get descriptions from a SLC program to a CLX program after conversion. This is a rather large program, upwards of 5,000 different binary addresses that were descripted.

My plan was to export the slc tags to csv, then convert the program and export the CLX tags to csv, copy and past old descriptions to new. The problem is that when you export the CLX tags with no descriptions, all the arrays show up as a single entry. I would have to put SOMETHING for a desciption for every member of every array to get them to all appear in the export. Is there any way to import descriptions? Or am I stuck copy pasting 5,000 times.

Before you export your CLX tags, just put a placeholder description in one or two of the tags, so you can see the required format. Then use excel's auto-increment goodies or whatever other tricks are required to extrapolate it out from there, and copy your descriptions over as planned

ahhhh good call. Just insert some rungs and copy paste all the array members.

Thanks for the tip!

The SLC tag base is 5 columns 28 characters each. (if I remember correctly) I always use the CONCATENATE command in excel to modify descriptions into 1 column. (which 5000 uses)

=CONCATENATE(D5," ",E5," ",F5," ",G5," ",H5)

Place this type formula in a cell next to your SLC descriptions. Then pull down to fill additional rows. The ," ", will insert a space between each column entry. If you want to start a new line then use ,"$N", before column # if you wish to have that column stacked below on the next row of your description. In SLC500 the columns are the rows of the descriptions or where they wrap around.

Line 1
Station 2
Limit Switch

In SLC this description would be in column D,E & F. If you wish to stack them then use this type of formula.

=Concatenate(D5,"$N",E5,"$N",F5) The Quotes just identify the entry as text.

In Excel it would look like this: Line 1$NStation 2$NLimit Switch

TIP: When you copy the concatenated column to 5000 tag base make sure you use the Paste special command and paste "values". If you just use paste it will copy the formula and give you a "REF" error.

Most of the hard work is lining up you tags with the descriptions as you already know. I always took the time to space my 500 tag base to include all 16 tags for inputs and outputs. It seems to make life easier or at least less error prone.

Good Luck with your project!