What is the best way to get my physical machine converted to a virtual machine

Jemeu

I want to start using a VM for all my programming instead of my computer and wanted to see what is the best way to get my physical machine converted so I can use it on VMware workstation

Thanks

Hello,

VMWare has it built in, menu: File/Virtualize a Physical Machine.

I have used it several times without problem.

The File > Virtualize a Physical Machine function in VMWare Workstation is just a launcher for VCenter Converter, which must be installed separately.

VCenter Converter was unavailable for download from VMWare for several months because of a security flaw, but it's available now. You can run it standalone or in client/server install mode for use by VMWare Workstation.

That is, of course, if you're planning on using VMWare. Certainly there are other options including Microsoft's tightly-integrated-with-Windows HyperV, and Oracle's VirtualBox.

Despite the higher cost, I use VMWare because I've been relying on it for many years and prefer the familiarity.

That's good news Ken. Glad they brought it back. Thought perhaps it was gone for good.

OG

One reason on my NAS I have a DOWNLOADS folder and keep a copy of every program I have downloaded, and keep older versions too.

I have a DVR program for my cameras that I bought a license for. Then got a popup an updated version was available. Turns out the update is a new major version and my license is only good for the older version with no discount on the purchase of the newer license for existing license holders. Had to completely uninstall it and reinstall the older version, and ignore popups every time a newer version is released.

Plus sometimes older versions are needed for one of the XP or Win7 computers on machines I am working on.