Backup of MP377 no touch

spaderkung

I want transfer an existing MP377 12" key panel to a replacement. I don't have the original project. I tried to take a backup using Prosave without success connecting to it. Changed IP in the panel win menu, and could ping. Bad planning I did not bring MPI adapter.

But then I thought is prosave even necessary? Can I just backup to USB instead?

Edit: In the panel backup/restore menu there are no media options selectable, so no existing cards in it I suppose.
Found also the instructions from Siemens for backup, but I'm not sure how to put the key version into transfer mode, as there is no popup during power on. Under transfer settings, the Remote Control was checked.

Can there also be a problem that when it was first downloaded some checkbox had to be ticked for backup?

The replacement panel has not arrived yet so I don't know the details of that. For the original panel I noted this data:
6AV6 644-0BA01-2AX1
Image version: V01.00.04.00_01.55
Bootloader version/date 1.00 / 17.7.2007
Flashsize 128 Mb

Thanks in advance for solutions

Last edited:
Hej Jon.

That replacement MP377 must be expensive !!
Since you dont have the original program, then I can see the dilemma.

It should be possible to do the Prosave backup via ethernet.
You have set the Transfer channel to Ethernet and enabled it ?

I am not sure that you can use a USB device to do a backup to a memory card.
The panel has both SD and CF cards slots.
When you insert an SD or CF card and start the backup to memory card, the panel will (or should) ask to format the card. Do you get to this ?

Can there also be a problem that when it was first downloaded some checkbox had to be ticked for backup?
No.

but I'm not sure how to put the key version into transfer mode, as there is no popup during power on.
That is bad. It sounds as if the original programmer has set the startup delay to zero.
But since you can get to the control panel, I guess you can stop the runtime and start transfer mode manually ?
edit: The pop start menu appears on both touch and key panels. Only if the programmer has set the start delay top zero will it not display.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes it is obscene expensive :)

Next time with the panel I will bring SD card and USB stick. Possibly CF card. I got to the backup menu last time where existing media was listed, but at that time there was no media. If it shows up this time I guess I'm done. Only question then whether the replacement MP377 has to be of a certain version to accept the project.

The transfer menu I also understand is bad. From a Siemens guide, they just said the "solution" was to do a factory reset. But the menu definetely does not show up when power on.

Just to be sure - with Prosave the panel must be in transfer mode? Doesn't matter if MPI/Ethernet is tried?

Just to be sure - with Prosave the panel must be in transfer mode?
It ought to be enough that the mode change is set to remote, which you already have.
Have you set the transfer channel to ethernet ?
That being said, I have seen some times that the panel refuses to go to Transfer mode automatically.
So if you can start it manually it would be good.

Doesn't matter if MPI/Ethernet is tried?
They should be equally good. I would stick with Ethernet.

In the existing HMI runtime program, is there a function to stop the HMI runtime ?
If the runtime is stopped, the start pop-up menu should appear.

Since you can change settings, I guess there is a function to show the Windows Control Panel, but that does not stop the runtime, and therefore you don't see the start menu.

Sounds like you're sorted out so far (yay!), wanted to add one thing.

This is a thing, but not for straight backups. There is a feature called "backtransfer" where you can upload an editable version of the project IF the feature is active when downloaded (off by default) and I think it also requires some storage medium (SD/USB stick) bigger than the flash of the panel. This is almost never actually used, because they made the feature dumbly.

However, for a simple backup for a device replacement scenario, this is not a restriction. The downside is a backup is not editable, but it can be deployed to a new (identical) panel, as you intend to do.