"Store and Forward" options Siemens Unified Panels / Cloud Connect?

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi -
I have an application where we are planning using an Edge device to connect some equipment, likely an S7-1500 and WinCC Unified Comfort Panel (via MQTT) to some cloud services. A colleague spec'ed a Edge device from ONLOGIC to consolidate the data.

The key here is that the edge device has data buffering capability.

Now, I have been reading that the Unified Panels and even the S7-1500 (via a modules) can have MQTT capability - or I can go the Cloud Connect route and send everything through the CC module.

That said, nothing I have seen from Siemens shows I can buffer the data on the module or edge device. For example, Ignition's Edge Panels have 1-week data buffer.

I'd like to simplify the design and not stuff a bunch of redundant hardware in this system for no reason. Are there ways to achieve data buffering on a WinCC Unified Comfort Panel, Cloud Connect, or some other module without having to put an industrial PC in?

I'd prefer not to put the HMI on a PC and keep it panel based.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks