OT - sealoff chico

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does this look correct? I would not have thought that the chico should be all in the enclosure. Hopefully this doesnt cause issues in the future.

20221201_144253.jpg

is this chico (duct seal) or the epoxy?
if it is easily removable, i would get it out.
if it is the hard epoxy, its a bad install, cotton was not used to pack off each end of the seal off before pouring the epoxy. just my opinion.
james

I think it is the expanding epoxy.

I thought that cotton like packing was supposed to be put in to block it off from getting into devices.

I guess i need to open up the other valves and flowmeter. Freaking contractors!

the cotton is supposed to be packed tight, so REGULAR type epoxy can be used.
that way the epoxy stays in the confines of the sealoff.
expanding epoxy, cotton won't stop that and i don't even think it is supposed to be used. never heard of expanding epoxy before.
regards,
james

Sorry the image has things isn't something I have seen in the past. What is this device for? How does cotton come into play?

Sorry the image has things isn't something I have seen in the past. What is this device for? How does cotton come into play?

gut feeling is that this is a device installed in a hazardous area and due to the protection method chosen and the way it's been installed requires the wiring duct to be blocked to avoid any flammable gas to make its way to the contacts and create an explosion.

I may be wrong, as it's a first for me to see chico as a technical term, but the construction of the device for what seems to be a valve position indicator leads me to believe it's hazardous area (type Ex d).

Is no one going to comment on the amount of copper on display???

Back
Top Bottom