AB slc 150 how to write program for demag crane

wthompson

Just finished installing a 10 ton demag crane. The crane should have three speeds for the bridge and trolley but they do not work. The only speeds that work for the bridge and trolley are creep (very slow). The inputs are lighting up for each speed but there is no output for the 2nd and 3rd speed. Any ideas ? I would like to keep the slc 150 if possible because i have 5 more cranes with consecutive serial numbers to install in this facility.

Just finished installing a 10 ton demag crane. The crane should have three speeds for the bridge and trolley but they do not work. The only speeds that work for the bridge and trolley are creep (very slow). The inputs are lighting up for each speed but there is no output for the 2nd and 3rd speed. Any ideas ? I would like to keep the slc 150 if possible because i have 5 more cranes with consecutive serial numbers to install in this facility.

Welcome to the Forum!

With the information you have posted, there isn't much to work with.

You mentioned the Inputs, but not the Outputs. That is what will change the speed.

What does the Speed Control? A VFD perhaps? Do the Outputs to whatever Controls the Speed change state?

Do you have a copy of the PLC Program? If so, please Post it.

A Wiring Diagram, or Layout would also be helpful.

Stu....

The outputs do not light for the 2nd and 3rd speeds (the inputs do). If the outputs would come they will activate motor starters with auxillary contacts to control the 2nd and 3rd speeds. I don't have the logic(wish i did). I do have a wiring schematic for the crane.

I would like to keep the slc 150 if possible because i have 5 more cranes with consecutive serial numbers to install in this facility.

just in case no one else has already told you – those SLC-150 units have been obsolete for MANY years ...

you really should replace them with something like a MicroLogix system ...

but if you really MUST stick with the SLC-150s, get in touch with this guy ...

http://www.ind-concepts.com/

Mark can help you with everything you'll need – including advice on how to make the pieces work together – and best of all, he's "good folks" ...

Search the forum for SLC 100. There are many links and pages to build an interface and download software

I have to second Ron's suggestion. Especially if you have to install five more of these cranes. You are asking for long term headaches by staying with the SLC150. You would be a lot farther ahead if you put in a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400. The time to make the conversion would be while you are installing it.

I 2nd the idea of converting it to a ML. The SLC 150 has to be obsolete for at least 10 years. Converting to ML shouldn't be too difficult because (I think) the SLC 150s didn't handle analog inputs/outputs. Also the memory can't be too large to make a conversion too difficult. It doesn't make any sense to use this old technology on anything new.

I 2nd the idea of converting it to a ML. The SLC 150 has to be obsolete for at least 10 years. Converting to ML shouldn't be too difficult because (I think) the SLC 150s didn't handle analog inputs/outputs. Also the memory can't be too large to make a conversion too difficult. It doesn't make any sense to use this old technology on anything new.

If you notice, the drawings are from 1988 (at least the one I looked at was).

It sounds like this is an old system (maybe an old crane)

Hello wthompson,

Also think you should check the limit switches that enable slow speed in both directions (3LS32 and 3LS33).If the LEDs of the inputs 107 and 108 of slc150 are off, measure with a voltmeter directly on the terminals of him because this is old PLC and LEDs may be damaged.

best regards,
Daniel

Mark can help you with everything you'll need – including advice on how to make the pieces work together – and best of all, he's "good folks" ...

Thanks Ron :)
-----------------------------------

wthompson,

Try this it may help, no matter if you buy the cable from us or if you have one... long story short, if you are using a PC with XP or later you will need to use a program called DosBox and this link below should help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TDEKX-SuG8

Best regards
Mark

If you seriously want to use these PLCs, I have the necessary interface and software to pull the program off for you for free. The posts by Ron Beaufort and Geniusintraining are your best bet for a long term solution.
By the way, in reference to your post #5, if you need to split a file, WinRar can do that.

Last edited: