FactoryTalk View Studio fails to load tag base

Anyone run into issues similar to this? I have version 9.0 loaded up and have ran the patches for July 2020

Basically, I can open my applications and still add buttons or draw, work in the screens, but when I want to add a tag to an object, I pop open the window and hit the three little dots to open the tag browser, and nothing happens. Studio will not respond, cant close the window, cant close studio. I am able to still work on the computer aside from View Studio, but it needs to be closed via task manager if I want to get out of it.

I have gone through and uninstalled / reinstalled the entire View Studio suite (not my Studio 5000 software, but all the FactoryTalk View Studio portions. I also made sure I had the most recent patches from the RA website.

Of course, I called Rockwell and they won't help due to my company being peasants and not having a tech connect contract.

Any thoughts? I cannot put my finger on an event that started this issue. I dont believe I updated anything or installed anything off the wall, as I went out of town for a few days to do a service call, came back, and this started acting up.

Have you been working on another monitor and now you aren't using this monitor?

I have had this before, where I was working with an external monitor on my laptop, and I didn't shut down FactoryTalk View before unplugging my monitor.

FactoryTalk View was then still putting things on an external monitor that wasn't there.

Cheers

Mark

In the past I have seen something similar and it turned out that I had a pop up on a second display. I didn't have a second display hooked up and so I couldn't see it. Once I had a second display I was able to see it. But I don't recall what it was.

If I recall, I could hit the Escape key and that closed the other window and returned focus to Studio.

This was happening to my students when I was teaching classes. It went away but I don't recall if it was an update or something else.

OG

** EDIT ** What Mark said!

It looks like you guys might be on the right track. If I hit escape it brings me back to my studio window and it is responsive again. I plugged in a second monitor to my thunderbolt hub and directly to my laptop display port and still cannot find the window that is popping up. Confirmed my display settings are for only two displays, laptop native and the single external.

I'll try to find a second external to plug in and see if that is where this damn thing is popping up. I can get the expression editor to pop up but not the tag base still.

Yeah there really needs to be an easier way to rearrange windows. I think since that is a pop up within FT View, somewhere in the Windows registry there is a FT setting storing this.

OG

OK, can confirm, dumbest fix ever. Plug in a third monitor and there it was. Moved it to the main FT View screen and I was back in business.

Agreed, they don't really show you the fact that another tiled window has opened, which is a bit frustrating

Yay! Glad you got it sorted.

OG

** EDIT ** I said that I had seen it happen on my student computers (my computers that the students used). None of those had ever been connected to a second monitor. We never used separate monitors.

Last edited: